Had a very interesting experience today, I purchased an iphone 5 on Saturday last week took a while to get use to it. I was battling with the touch screen so I went and got a pen looking goodie to make it easier to type.

After a couple of days I got the hang of it, but found the top right hand side of the touch screen would not always work, I would have to got back and back to try get the on/off switch to function etc, so I took it back to Telkom today, because I got it on the iphone5 mix contract.

I was told I had to go get the contract and the packaging, etc, which I did, they checked the phone acknowledged there was a problem and told me they would replace the iphone 5, an hour and a half later sitting patiently waiting for them to "register the new phone" or so I was told, they came out and told me that apple do not fall with the CPA in this country and that the "OBW" out of the box warranty did not apply to apple products. they would have to send the phone for repairs. So I contacted my lawyer who told me it is rubbish the CPA applies to all product but he would confirm on Monday.

So I told them I wanted to cancel the contract which I am entitled to do within 7 days if I am not happy, which they indicated was not a problem and I could get another contract with any other phone on offer.

SO I cancelled the contract and will get a new contract with a Z10 instead which I am advised by Telkom, does fall within the "OBW" (out of the box warranty) in fact every single other phone does just not apple.

So the next time you want to purchase an apple product from Telkom you better make sure you understand that apple doesn't fall within "OBW" or the CPA in South Africa

The issue I now have is that I have downloaded apps which cost me money, purchased a cover which cost a couple hundred bucks, lost all my contacts again because we had to format the phone because it had credit card details etc which were use to purchase apps. What a waste of time and money.

I have contacted Wendy Knowler with regards to this issue, and will be interested to hear what her response is going to be.