Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iphone 5

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This defect on the iphone 5 has nothing to do with Telkom.

when my mate signed up a contract with Vodacom today, the contract he signed clearly states that you have to hand in the phone so that they can check that it has not been dropped or has no water damage, it was pointed out to him and he then had to sign it, if there is not a scratch on the phone or no signs of water damage an ok from the technical department, only then with you receive a new hand set. So a word of warning make sure you have a complete cover for your phone because if it has the slightest chip or mark which indicates it could have been dropped, you cannot claim the out of box failure.

When you pay R9000 for an item which is suppose to be the best product on the market you expect it to at least be defect free, in other words the screen should be aligned with the "buttons" or "slides", most people wont even notice it because they use their finger or thumb which is even bigger, so it touches below the "button" "slide", the reason because the defect is across the top of the phone the "button" "slide" is just below what you see on the screen, so in future it you find you are sliding and sliding or tapping and tapping and nothing is happening anywhere on the top two lines just move slightly down and you will notice the response is immediate ever shot a coconut. My phone is responsive on literally every stroke or tap now because I know where to touch the top of the screen. You will notice things like when you are in chats for example when you touch broadcast message it will edit, if you move to the centre of broad cast message and slightly down it will not try edit. What I have noticed it is that if you use your finger and not a stylus like I do, you will normally get it right because of the angle of your finger or thumb.

One of the "technician" didn't even know his phone had the defect until I pointed it out to him today. like most people using the iphone 5 assumed it was just a oily finger or miss swipe or something.

I heard some interesting answers to the issues today one being that you had to wait because it was processing the info, so I moved one of the centre "slides" "buttons" to the top and waited but when you move it back to the middle of the screen it responded immediately, so that theory went out the window.

Another being it was the stylus I was using, so I took one sold by apple and used that same problem.

Another being that you are suppose to touch the screen not slide it across, that's why it wasn't working so we did a touch test same problem.

I thought politicians could side step, I saw a whole new form of shuffling today.

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (28-Apr-13), Justloadit (28-Apr-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What makes me laugh about this whole thing is the reaction I get from people, its not to hell with Apple they should sort out the problem, the reaction from people is they find it amusing and actually laugh at me, I heard some people sitting in a group yesterday making fun of me because of my issue with my iphone, and yet people cry because they as a consumer are treated so badly in this country.

Some people ask, so what do I want out of this issue or why don't I just hand the phone in and get a nokia or Samsung, it is simple all I want is what I paid for, a defect free phone, I don't want my phone sent back for repairs, I want Apple to send me a phone with the screen calibrated correctly or a software/firmware upgrade which will sort out the problem, that is it, nothing more nothing less.

I purchased a Ryobi product a while back to cut wood, I paid about R500 for it I expected very little for it in terms of accuracy etc, I then upgraded it to a Makita sliding saw with a laser, it cost around R12000 I expected a little more from it but did realise it wasn't the best product on the market so I live with the laser not being 100% accurate and bluured, when I cut a 45 and slide it back to the 90 degree it is not always 100%, but when I get around to investing in a Festo cut off saw which will cost me around R17000 and it is said to be the best on the market and most accurate, I will expect the machine to be 100% not 99 %.

Something you need to be aware of, there is no "Apple South Africa" in fact South africa is not even listed on their international website, the Apple distributors are merely distributors of the Apple product, so what does this mean, you buy an Apple product chances are the shop where you buy the product imported it directly, so when you have a problem you cant go to another shop and expect them to sort out the problem, you have to take it back to where you purchased, like in my case it has to go back to Telkom, it will then be returned to which ever country they are importing the product from to get it sorted out, it could take months, and getting a brand new phone is not going to resolve the issue until Apple recalibrate it or send out firmware upgrade to sort out this problem.

So before you rush out and purchase a new Apple product maybe you should read this...and do some research.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/03...ne-ipad-users/

I have still not had a response to my emails from Apple to date, could it be that they know about the issue and don't have a firmware/ software solution yet or could it be that recalling over 27 millions phones already sold could be a rather costly experience, or maybe they hoping I go buy another iphone and leave them alone so they don't have to worry about it because nobody else is.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    By the way if apple wanted the blocks to be tap functions, why did they design it in way that it looks like a slide function when you move it from left to right or right to left to switch function on - off. I was told by one of the "technicians" that's why it wasn't working, I had to tap it not slide it, I just kept quiet and smiled.

Suspended
    Thanks
    ians in a way you are right, but you could find fault with any brand of phone. The Apple brand is a mega brand. One of the Apple shops in Regent street London is 5 stories high. It is an amazing store, really amazing. There are no pay counters, only staff walking around with little credit card gadgets. If you want a product they punch it into this gadget. Within 2 minutes someone else delivers this gadget to this guy wherever you and him are now standing. You swipe your card and done deal. They have 600 people working at this one store alone. The hype in and around these stores are absolutely amazing. Once you have gone apple most people dont look back. I looked for this problem you had over the weekend and have seen what you are talking about with the slide that you have to push. To me it is not a problem, but obviously to others it is. I love my 4S and am now upgrading to the 5.
    Hope you get sorted out one way or the other.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    HR it is a slide or tap function either way it works, but as you mentioned most people don't even know there is a problem they just keep swiping or tapping what ever blows their hair back. I don't really care what Apple decide to do with the 30 million + phones which have this problem, or if other people do find this problem or not, al I want is for my phone to work correctly. Not one other person I have spoken t even knows the problem exists, so it is no big deal.

By the way Samsung phone screens can be calibrated from a setting in the phone.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I was wondering why Wendy Knowler had not responded to my email, while at Gateway getting my mates contract renewed I asked them (at Vodacom) about the OBF and CPA, they told me that they had put Wendy Knowler in her place on numerous occasion with regards to their contract and OBF clause, hence the reason for bringing to each customers attention and making them initial the clause.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ians, the reason it is a Telkom problem is because the Consumer Protection Act determines that it is. The Act provides you with 6 months protection from any defect; the product to be replaced, fixed or refunded at your choice, by or from whoever you purchased it.

By the way, iPad works exactly the same way; it is indeed a push button and not a slider. Of course,, sometimes when you slide your finger across it, it detects a push and will sometimes work. But as a push button it works every time.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Interesting that you say that, because they call it a touch pad, yet when you want to unlock the Iphone 5 it clearly states slide to unlock.

http://www.cultofmac.com/222441/five...about-feature/

Suspended
    Thanks
    Ians I just found this article. Current bids to meet with the Apple CEO. Thought you might be interested

Would you like to have coffee with Apple CEO, Tim Cook?

All you have to do is win the auction that is currently sitting at around R5,400,000 for a 1 hour meeting. Only two weeks left - get your bids in now! All proceeds go to charity.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I am not one of those people who follow other people.

Anyone can achieve great things in life, you just need to tell your mind that and take the first step.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast