Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iphone 5

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I will also try find other iphone 5 today and see if they react in the same manner, maybe it is just a faulty batch.
    Good luck getting an admission that it's a faulty batch - then it's mandatory recall time.

Thinking about it, perhaps the reason why they changed their tune from replace to repair is because Telkom is already aware they've got a bad batch problem.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It is going to be an interesting day today.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Well, now we know where Apple is heading....fast...to the great big worm farm...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What I need to find out today, is this a software issue or a hardware issue.

What I need to do today is check another phone with the same software purchased from a different location at a different time and see if it responds in the same manner or if is the batch of iphones being distributed from Telkom.

I just wish Wendy Knowler had responded to my email, at least I would have some backup with regards to my consumer right, maybe she is just tooo busy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The Apple phone is mass produced in China, what do you expect? US quality?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    US Quality.....?

Like the Ford Pinto?

Suspended
    Thanks
    I am getting my iPhone 5 next week, and asking Nashua mobile about this problem they said it must be a Telkom thing as it is untrue.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ians, my 5 is pretty much the same. But I discovered that if I just keep my finger on the slider, as if it is a push button, for about 1 second, then when I lift it, it switches to the other option as if I slid the slider. Hope that makes sense. My wife's is pretty much the same too.

Regarding Telkom's story, they're nuts. As AdrainH pointed out, it has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with the vendor; them.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Actually Ians, I just spent a few minutes testing it again, and it seems it is actually a push button that merely resembles a slider

I can't tell you how this has annoyed me when trying to set it to Airplane mode when flying! I feel kinda silly now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I do not have the app you mention, however the only similarity to the screen you mention, is to go to 'Settings', and go to "Airplane Mode". The acceptance of the command is not instantaneous, but if I keep my finger there for a second or so, it is processed. Sometimes if I click fast, it misses my finger input and is explained below.

We tend to get used to things happening instantaneously, and tend to forget what amount of processing is taking place in our hands irrespective of what we are doing. There is only one processor in the unit, and no matter how fast it is, the first priority is the control of the modem and the communications protocol required to maintain the link to the network alive, including GPRS, HSPA, GPS, WiFi, Blue Tooth, screen, and other functions. Basically the processor splits it processing time into time slices, and the time slice is proportional the the priority of what is physically going on. The modem takes precedence over any other action the phone may be doing, and requires continuous processing, as opposed to watching movies or some other screen function. There are special DMA's that take care of the screen and updating, and requires very little processing power, however touch is another story, it requires the processor to physically be accessing the screen sensing circuitry, and it can only do this in time slices, as it requires time for the modem. So if your timing is wrong, you may be pressing and releasing the screen when the processor is accessing other functions of the phone.

Only when one sits down and actually starts looking at how these items are made, do we appreciate the amount of engineering required, and all this is taken for granted.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

11. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (27-Apr-13)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast