Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best business-accounting software for me?

Thanks

Best business-accounting software for me?

Hi all

I hope you can assist me

I am looking for a suitable software program for my business. I am involved in Office Equipment,
    We provide a service (Repairs) and retail machines, consumables.

I require a system that is robust and one that is as functionally inclusive as possible, to allow for growth and flexibility.
    I also don’t wish to upgrade in the short or medium term, once I start using a new system.

Main requirements

Accounting/Bookkeeping
    Invoicing
    Inventory/Stock control
    Client management
    Job card
    Reports...

Basically, a pastel type system integrated with a workshop type. Retail Management Software or PO Management Software type.

There is few I am aware off, some free, some not, some better than others.

For the last 4 years I have been using my own Excel spreadsheet system, it actually works well and I have refined it to where it is efficient. I keep good records and I can track what is going on. But a proper system would save me lots of time. Also, my system is intuitive to me and it’s difficult to teach.

A good no nonsense free one would be great (Without trial period), but any suggestions would be appreciated.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    Basically, a pastel type system integrated with a workshop type.
    May I suggest that you look at Pastel Partner, integrated with Job-SYS?

Drop me a line if you would like to discuss this further.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

3. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (21-Apr-13)

Thanks
    Good evening Neville

Thank you for responding to my thread.

I have considered Pastel. I used it before in retail, but not for workshop, we had a specific system for it. I like Pastel, and should be able to learn Job-SYS quickly.
    I will contact you once I have read all the literature concerning your system(s). So we can have a detailed conversation.

I really like your pic’s by the way

Thank you
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Let me cut to the chase...

I am looking for a system as open source as possible, one that has been used by somebody in a related industry, who can say: “it works for me and it is good”...

My reasoning behind open source is to eventually maintain my own in-house system, one that I can change at will to fit my specific business needs “perfectly”. Own my manual, so to speak.

I require a stabile working system that can fulfil my needs currently and I can change later by myself in any respect when/if need be. I will learn the system fully and involve a programmer to change what I need, if needed. I want full control that I can teach people who I employ.

This is idealised and simplified, off course. And not suitable for most businesses either. But in what I see myself requiring now and in the future, this is the way for me to go personally.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Open ERP is pretty comprehensive and the source code is available.

It is however a "big" package that requires considerable competence. It is however very modular so you can grow into it.

An added advantage is that it is web enabled. I have run it on a Linux web server with no tweaking.

If you have a decent adsl line, you can test it http://www.openerp.com

7. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (22-Apr-13)

Thanks
    Thanks Clive

I have been testing the demo version, it works fine. I have also located the erp-“workshop add” Going to give it a nice full test soon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    Hi all

I hope you can assist me

I am looking for a suitable software program for my business. I am involved in Office Equipment,
    We provide a service (Repairs) and retail machines, consumables.

I require a system that is robust and one that is as functionally inclusive as possible, to allow for growth and flexibility.
    I also don’t wish to upgrade in the short or medium term, once I start using a new system.

Main requirements

Accounting/Bookkeeping
    Invoicing
    Inventory/Stock control
    Client management
    Job card
    Reports...

Basically, a pastel type system integrated with a workshop type. Retail Management Software or PO Management Software type.

There is few I am aware off, some free, some not, some better than others.

For the last 4 years I have been using my own Excel spreadsheet system, it actually works well and I have refined it to where it is efficient. I keep good records and I can track what is going on. But a proper system would save me lots of time. Also, my system is intuitive to me and it’s difficult to teach.

A good no nonsense free one would be great (Without trial period), but any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I can help you with a comprehensive system. Please check our web site :http://www.orax.co.za It don't come free but it has a huge amount to offer like full financials, full payroll, HR, inventory, sales, quotations, invoicing and ordering, serial tracking etc. etc. etc. It does not cost an arm and a leg as it is a web based system, that will allow you to access your company data at any time and from anyware on a PC, iPad, iPhone, Android, Blackberry etc.
    Regards
    Lance

10. Thanks given for this post:

pietpetoors (01-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Thanks, will look into it

Thanks
    Hi. You can try invoice2go as well. Android app. Can be used on smart phone, tablets and pc.

13. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (14-Jul-13)

Thanks
    If bookkeeping software is what you're looking for, I'm going to share to you the Google spreadsheet our company made.
    http://biz30.timedoctor.com/list-of-...ping-software/
    It's a list of Bookkeeping software options that will be able to help you decide which tool to use that's going to be perfect for you and your business. You can also see their prices and the comparison of their features. I hope you'd find it helpful.

15. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (08-Aug-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast