Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Candidates not working !!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Vanash - I have a tremendous amount of patience with people who want to better themselves, I am more than willing to teach and share whatever knowledge I have, but, I have zero tolerance for people who feel that the world owes them, for people who are lazy and for people who are not willing to get off their butts and take responsibility for their own wellbeing.

With regards to live and let live, I don't mostly give a sh1t what other people do and I am quite sure that people feel the same way about me...so yes, I live and let live....provided that what they do doesn't annoy me within my own domain. I will fight to protect my own.

I still contend that young white males make for the worst employees and that Zimbawean adults make for the best...from my experience.

The most important factor in my evaluation of a potential employee is their attitude and aptitude, I hire for attitude and train for skill. I will bend over backwards, and I do, for people and staff who have a suitable attitude. Not one of my staff members had the skills required to do the jobs that I need them to do but they all had the aptitude and willingness to learn. I am able to leave them to get on with it on their own because I can trust that their attitude, aptitude and skill ensures that they do a great job.

The bottom line is this, I want all of us to prosper but I sure as f*ck will not do it for them. I went to watch South Africa beat the living crap out of North Korea in a ice hocky match last night and that is exactly how I see the world, you go out, do your bit and fight as hard as you can, you win some, you lose some but at the end of it you shrug it off and you do it all over again. If a team member doesn't do his bit then he is gone...that is the way of the world...there is no 'ag shame, keep Johnny on the team because he was hard done by when his mommy wouldn't let him suck her tittie when he was 3'...you try as hard as you can and if you are good enough you make it and if you are not...well then you don't.

Life's a bitch and people need to face it head on!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Would love to have just recorded one of our girls phone call she had with a young white guy (25) a few minutes ago. She phoned him to ask him to come for an interview as she has a possible job for him. We are on the east rand. He is in Alberton. The job is in Edenvale. She woke him up at 9am in the morning therefore he is either unemployed or taking the day off. He said it was too far to come for an interview and he couldnt come now. She offered to meet him half way. She could hear his voice that he did not really "feel like it" and eventually asked him if he really wanted this job. He said no and that it was too far !!! For those that do not know the distance. It is approx 18km !!!
    His mommy is probably still suckling him. While daddy is paying for his beer, his fags, his transport and his entertainment. Shame.

If you have a child like this, kick him out and stop the fringe benefits immediately. Why look for a job if you have it this lucky?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    @ adrian pretty exactly how I feel, especially your first 3 paragraphs.

There is only so much you can do to help other people, and you can only do so much if they are willing to accept the help that is given to them ! If they do NOT want to be helped at a certain level, then you cannot and I personally will not help them anymore !

It is exactly the same as a drug addict or an alchoholic. The will only get help when they are ready and want the help. You can try to force them into rehab, perhaps get it right, but if they are not ready and willing, they will be back on the wagon as soon as they get out !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Vanash - I have a tremendous amount of patience with people who want to better themselves, I am more than willing to teach and share whatever knowledge I have, but, I have zero tolerance for people who feel that the world owes them, for people who are lazy and for people who are not willing to get off their butts and take responsibility for their own wellbeing.

With regards to live and let live, I don't mostly give a sh1t what other people do and I am quite sure that people feel the same way about me...so yes, I live and let live....provided that what they do doesn't annoy me within my own domain. I will fight to protect my own.

I still contend that young white males make for the worst employees and that Zimbawean adults make for the best...from my experience.

The most important factor in my evaluation of a potential employee is their attitude and aptitude, I hire for attitude and train for skill. I will bend over backwards, and I do, for people and staff who have a suitable attitude. Not one of my staff members had the skills required to do the jobs that I need them to do but they all had the aptitude and willingness to learn. I am able to leave them to get on with it on their own because I can trust that their attitude, aptitude and skill ensures that they do a great job.

The bottom line is this, I want all of us to prosper but I sure as f*ck will not do it for them. I went to watch South Africa beat the living crap out of North Korea in a ice hocky match last night and that is exactly how I see the world, you go out, do your bit and fight as hard as you can, you win some, you lose some but at the end of it you shrug it off and you do it all over again. If a team member doesn't do his bit then he is gone...that is the way of the world...there is no 'ag shame, keep Johnny on the team because he was hard done by when his mommy wouldn't let him suck her tittie when he was 3'...you try as hard as you can and if you are good enough you make it and if you are not...well then you don't.

Life's a bitch and people need to face it head on!
    A very good morning to you Adrian

I would certainly say that your willingness to share your knowledge with others does you credit as well as those that you share with. This is in keeping with the spirit of ‘ubuntu.' You have a reasonable opinion of live and let live. I agree with the personal space notion.
    I commend you for hiring an employee for attitude as opposed to skill. What you essentially saying is that if you find a potential employee with a good outlook, you willing to spend time and money to develop this person. Many won’t do this!

“Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    At the end of the day it all comes down to attitude and aptitude. If a person has the aptitude for, say working with their hands, and a willingness to learn, then the particular skill that he has is not important because his attitude and aptitude will enable him to learn most any related skill. The problem with hiring for skill is that the person may not have the aptitude to adapt the skill when needed to do so.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I concur. Hiring employees is very much like running a sports team. If you hire a star with an arrogant attitude, he/she may be of more harm to the team spirit than the slogger that is willing to learn and put the team first.

Successful businesses are all run like very well oiled teams where everyone knows their position and task and support their team mates in getting the job done. The captain (boss) also has a role to play and should not just sit on the sideline, but play an active role in directing, motivating and inspiring the team. Most important is to reward and give credit where credit is due, but be brutal when goals are not achieved.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123