Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: China Roars

Thanks

China Roars

The Big beast Roars in the east while Rome is burning. If history teaches us anything about civilisation and economics, it’s that, Civilisations rise and fall as surely as the tides. A civilisations fall is preceded and caused by economic decline. Whilst, a competing civilisation benefits.

Peace is war by other means. America and China are playing chess, with their allied countries as the pawns........ The heat coming off is palpable, and steadily getting hotter.

Economic decline leads to nationalism, and/or revolt almost anywhere. Lucky for us we are in sub-Saharan Africa, which is being eaten by China’s “procurement department”, who are very busy procuring land and recourses, big gulps at a time all over the place.

America helped create the monster, now the slave “slowly” becomes the master. America has huge military power, will they use it or fade away? I don’t know (The nuclear aspect adds complexity).

I believe we must fit our paradigm with that of China and toss away the old U-S rulebook, as it were
    We are China’s pawn already, might as well take full advantage of it.

This is only my humble opinion
    Last edited by pmbguy; 06-Apr-13 at 04:05 PM. Reason: changed : to , for flo and removed copy word

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes, and you can assist them by recklessly exporting jobs to China without looking for a local alternative first.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks

Agree

With you 100%, But SA needs to be on the right boat with how things play, for the benefit of everybody in SA. In my humble opinion, this is a historical point in time of some significance. An incremental-big shift.
    Anything is possible though, history displays many totally unaccepted events.
    We have no crystal ball. But we can use the past+current and understand the future in some measure

Am for and with my Country all the way

Thanks
    I am South African, born, and pozzy and I love the US and Europe, I live and think in “Western”.
    Life is good this way.
    But we have to be aware of the real big plays

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    I am South African, born, and pozzy and I love the US and Europe, I live and think in “Western”.
    Life is good this way.
    But we have to be aware of the real big plays
    I am glad that you are patriotic. We need more people to put South Africa first and not just think of making a quick buck for themselves. I have many first hand experiences and examples of tenderpreneurs who would not give a s#!t about their own people losing their jobs, as long as they can make a bigger buck by importing stuff that is made locally and available at the same price and better quality.

Thanks
    I share your sentiment

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We have a snow ball's chance in hell, if we think that we will ever become an industrialised nation as we once were.

Firstly our employees have this entitlement attitude, and expect to be paid to be at work, but not to do work, and in my field get paid an above average wage per hour for no qualifications - double what a building helper gets an hour. I have tried many times to see if I can manufacture close to the price as that made in China, but have failed at every attempt.

There is a simple reason for that, the majority of the raw materials come from China, and importing them individually, already places me at a disadvantage, simply because of transport from the factory to my premises, for each group of raw materials, including import duties, taxes and clearing fees. So before I have even started to produce, my material cost is far higher than having imported the complete item, which has one single import, clearing and transport charge.

I then have to contend with employees, late arrival, long tea and lunch breaks, and getting ready to piss of home. Yes I can reduce this, by employing another person who acts as a policeman. After this I note that I get approximately 20% failure of the production line, which requires after work to bring it back to original working condition, and requires a higher qualified person.

It is a failure before I start. I manufacture products for local suppliers, and one of my better customers is complaining that Chinese imported machines are being sold below his material cost price, which off course affects his sales, and ultimately my sales, as we lose orders due the cheaper imported products.

and make no mistake, the quality is of a good standard too.

I have one product which is exported to the EU, and the only reason I get the order is that the SADEC countries have an agreement with the EU that there is no duty on products manufactured in RSA, which places me on par with Chinese made products, and EU will favour products from RSA while the price is the same. If this ever changes, then cheers to those orders.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

8. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (07-Apr-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    But SA needs to be on the right boat with how things play, for the benefit of everybody in SA.

This hold so very true, in my opinion it's in my best interest for our country to maintain good relations with China. China can't be ignored as a heavy weight in world economics. We benefit from our dealings with them.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    This hold so very true, in my opinion it's in my best interest for our country to maintain good relations with China. China can't be ignored as a heavy weight in world economics. We benefit from our dealings with them.
    Yes, they open shops all over the country, employing only their own people and putting South Africans out of work. Some of our tenderpreneurs import Chinese products that could be sourced locally and from SADEC countries. Mr Price imports cheap s#!t from China and export South African jobs. So what is the benefit? Having a Big Brother that tells us that Desmond Tutu is not allowed to invite the Dalai Lama to his birthday party?!

Thanks
    The reality is that the door has been opened and we can’t stop it now. Many people have directly or indirectly lost or are going to lose their jobs because of China, it is a sad reality.

We can’t compete with china in almost all manufacturing. We can only go so far until the margins force closure. Not with all SA manufacturing, off course.

There are some ways to make the situation work
    Some manufactures may benefit by changing tactics. I suggest manufactures Import semi manufactured goods and Complete manufacture here in SA. (If practical for what it being manufactured) This way we still take advantage from cheap imports, but retain a large percent of manufacture for SA. (Keeping/making jobs)

It is a model that can work.
    Guys are making Sinotec TV’s in SA and I believe the base tech to be Samsung. Samsung did not provide a simple rebrand, it is “put together” in SA. (Samsung did withhold some screen tech)

It’s not just gloom and doom, SA can benefit from what is happening, for everybody in SA.

Big Brother won’t go away, it's in how we deal with him and the rest of the world, that counts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.