Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a bit of advise on starting my own website

Thanks

Need a bit of advise on starting my own website

I have been reading up on starting a new website & a few things are puzzling me.
    As far as I understand you first need to register a domain name & then get your website.
    Why is it so important to register a domain name?
    If I register a Domain name as say S.A. Handguns & then choose a web host of say spacebar.
    My web address would then most probably be www.sahandguns.spacebar.co.za
    Spacebar wouldn’t let someone else use www.sahandguns.spacebar.co.za because it is already taken but they could go to ABC hosts & have a web address of sahandguns.abchosts.co.za
    Secondly what would be the best way to protect my website from hackers

Thanks
    Spacebars domain name is spacebar.co.za
    Yours would be sahandguns.co.za
    It would also work as www.sahandguns.spacebar.co.za if you host it on their account
    But your domain name and email addresses would be sahandguns.co.za
    I suppose someone else could register sahandguns.com or sahandguns.net and get sahandguns.abchosts.co.za
    But it would be pointless.

someone could also register sa-handguns.co.za or handgunsa.co.za or...or....
    But don't worry about it
    You are your site and it will be as useful as the amount of effort you put into marketing it

To keep hackers at bay your developer needs to know what they are doing
    This is one of the reasons I use Wordpress. They are constantly upgrading, plugging and patching.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Hermes14 (03-Apr-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes14 View Post
    As far as I understand you first need to register a domain name & then get your website.
    That's fine in theory, but when you register the website with Uniforum the domain needs to point to a server that's expecting the domain.

If you're starting out, I'd suggest the first step is to identify the domain name you want to register (check that it is available), then find a webhosting service and get them to set up a hosting account, and only then can you register the domain.

If you are starting down the road of getting your first website up with your own co.za domain name, then I would seriously consider something like the basic offering at domains.co.za

5. Thanks given for this post:

Hermes14 (03-Apr-13)

Thanks
    Thanks guys, I am so glad I found this site.
    I have spent the weekend going through all the old threads & there is an encyclopaedia of information in here.

So far I have applied to register a company name from http://www.registercompany.co.za/ and am waiting for feedback.

If I buy one of the packages from domain.co.za do I still have to register with uniform if I want my domain name to be registered to me?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes14 View Post
    If I buy one of the packages from domain.co.za do I still have to register with uniform if I want my domain name to be registered to me?
    That's what interested me in that particular offering as you can now avoid dealing with Uniforum yourself while still dealing with an automated near-instant process. Almost all local webhosting services will do domain registrations for you, but up until very recently it's always been a "manual" process - some human had to set up the web hosting, and then make an application to Uniforum, and then process a payment. It's the first time I'm aware of that we have a registration and transfer service for co.za domains that is totally automated and as easy to use as well known international domain registration services such as Godaddy, Whois etc.

Doing a domain registration at Uniforum directly is cheap, but not particularly user friendly and intuitive. It requires a reasonable level of technical knowledge and precision that is not normally present when someone is trying to set up a domain for the first time.

Thanks
    If you told me you were surfing the internet 10 years ago, I would have thought you were riding a new form of wave.
    I am no guru but since then I have come a long way.
    I won’t call myself a master but I do a fair bit of VBA in excel & access.
    I bought a book on html & css two weeks ago & have written my web page in a text document I just need to test it out still
    I don't want to register a domain until SA Company Registrations lets me know what my company name can be.

Jovana started a nice thread but seems to have fallen flat after the first day
    http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/s...ht=Web+Hosting

Suspended
    Thanks
    Hermes you can test your code by saving the file as .htm or .html on your computer.

Thanks
    Go Joomla. Your css and HTML knowledge will help you to modify your template. If you want to do just your own website why go and learn all the coding?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
    Go Joomla. Your css and HTML knowledge will help you to modify your template. If you want to do just your own website why go and learn all the coding?
    I was under the impression you needed html & css to design a web page.

Thanks
    You need design skills to build a web page. Html and css are nice to have but not essential. But to build a web site all you need is common sense. Joomla gets a little complicated for the average layman. Rather start with Wordpress. It's dead esay to use and incredibly powerful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast