Thread: AIA Durban

Email problem
    Thanks

Lightbulb AIA Durban

Hi Guys

I am semi retired and was employed in the petro chemical industry, a registered MIE .Is worthwhile to register as an AIA in Durban

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you'd have any competition

(but there may be a reason for that - AFAIK those few who have tried in Durban have ended up going back to electrical contracting.)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I don't think you'd have any competition

(but there may be a reason for that - AFAIK those few who have tried in Durban have ended up going back to electrical contracting.)
    Thanks Dave , Its not about competition- the set up cost is a killer IE ISO 9001 . if their is no scope for work I don't want to waste my time and money .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    Its not about competition
    Agreed. I only made the point to indicate there must be a reason

Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    if their is no scope for work...
    I'm pretty sure there's a market. The question (which you clearly recognise already) is whether it's a commercially viable business proposition.

The last guy I spoke to who had looked at it was eventually put off by the setup issues. Apart from ISO 9001, I seem to recall there was another fairly big accreditation hurdle known for its red tape delays... just can't recall what it was right now.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have heard rumours that Ian Mee is registered or is busy registering to be the AIA KZN.

I have also heard there is an other person who is an AIA in KZN, but never seen or heard from this person, apparently he is a lecturer at one of the techs, but once again just a rumour.

Looking at the state of electrical installations in KZN, either the AIA have not been appointed yet or they just as bad as the DOL, still in hiding waiting for people to die before they jump on your company or registered electrician and sue you for everything you own and some.

This industry is a laugh a minute.

I suppose I shouldn't complain it is a quick money making industry, you can unload COC a dozen a day without even visiting a site, never have to worry about being caught, because the way they structure the investigation the only person to loose anything is the poor customer.

It must be the only industry where:

There is just no control over the regulations (no policing)

The documentation which is suppose to be a legal and biding document, is not worth the paper it is written on, because very few people even know how to fill them out, never mind actually carry out the inspection correctly,

You as the customer must pay for an inspection report , pay for the compliance certificate, then still pay for the investigation by the AIA or DOL (chances are you wont even get them to site unless someone dies) , then pay again for the repairs to the installation which was already inspected a passed, then pay for a new inspection report and COC then pay a lawyer to sue, to get your money back.

I don't know about you, but something just doesn't sound right.

Another thing I find rather amusing, how many people believe using contractors which have the ECA logo on the vehicle or letter heads are going to do a better, safer job, well all I am gona say is we don't have an electrical "contractors" association (ECA) to protect the customer it is there to protect us as contractors in case we do something wrong and to save us money when we sue customers for outstanding payments. They even offer R15000 cover for bad workmanship , show me one case where they have actually paid out this money.

I think it is about time the customer got an electrical "consumer" association (ECA) to protect themselves from the electrical industry.

I went up to http://www.phezulusafaripark.co.za/ this weekend with the family, you cant miss the " shocking electrical installation, especially the lights on the path way as you walk towards the Boma for lunch, even the jam jar fittings are fill of water, the junction boxes are not waterproof, twin + e exposed to direct sunlight, the reason I mention this is because this is a "PUBLIC" place where I take my family and they should pay better attention to safety, if they don't care for their own safety at least have a little consideration for people who do.
    Last edited by ians; 03-Apr-13 at 05:20 PM.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I had started this process about a year ago by going to the DOL to find out if there was any scope for an AIA , with a response of “when we need any work done DOL uses the ECA ‘’ . I got the feeling that i was told why are wasting your time . If Ian Mee has started the process then .....