Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pastel v11 Tax Report Difference

Email problem
    Thanks

Pastel v11 Tax Report Difference

Hi There

I am using Pastel v11 for the first time and on printing the tax type report for Jan & Feb, I'm finding the following difference:

Balance of Tax Control Account as at 28/02/2013 R43 912.18
    Tax Total as per this report R43 780.35
    Closing Balance of VAT/Tax Control Account is R43 912.18

It gives me a difference of R131.82. As far as I know, the report printed out at the end of December balanced and that amount was paid to SARS. I notice in the VAT/Tax Control Account, however, that the opening balance for Jan/Feb differs by the same amount yet we have checked through our processing and cannot find anything that may have been backdated to the previous tax period.

Would anyone be able to help us figure out what other things we could look at that may have caused this difference? Any help would REALLY be appreciated!!

Thanks
    Sasha

Thanks
    Hi Sasha, something else that you can check is whether any transactions have been allocated directly to the VAT control account, apart from your payments/claims to and from SARS.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

3. Thanks given for this post:

Sasha (02-Apr-13)

Thanks
    Hi Sasha - an invoice dated the previous month and entered after VAT was paid will show a difference. Also check your journal entries ... if you use 01 in Journals they do not always show correctly in the report.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

5. Thanks given for this post:

Sasha (02-Apr-13)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks so much...really appreciate your help! Will let you know if I manage to sort it out.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks all - managed to resolve the issue. The previous bookkeeper had left out a VAT amount for an entry posted in June last year. Thank heavens we managed to find it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Thanks all - managed to resolve the issue. The previous bookkeeper had left out a VAT amount for an entry posted in June last year. Thank heavens we managed to find it!
    The latest Pastel (Xpress 12) now has an option where you close your VAT after doing your return. Any "late" entry after that is flagged and shows in your report. I think that this will be quite a helpful feature.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Hi I'm now learning about pastel, etc. When I was searching for how the balance of tax control account is worked out, I came across your question. So we have been using pastel for many years and for the last few years the balance of tax control account and the tax total as per this report is way different.

In another thread I read that it should be the same? here is the link to that thread. https://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/...ort+difference

So what I want to know is:
    1. What is the balance of tax control account?
    2. How is it calculated?
    3. Must it be the same as the tax total as per this report?

For example our Tax Type report for the tax period 201812 (01/11/2018 - 31/11/2018)
    The Balance of tax control account as at 31/12/2018 is R 1133128.01
    The tax total as per this report is R-227738.73

Thanks for your help

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Michelle

1 - The balance of the tax control account is the general ledger account you have setup for VAT. It can be found under Setup...Tax... General Settings. If you are using Pastels standard chart of accounts, it will be 9500/000.
    2 - All entries that are processed with a tax type that is not 0% will go to the VAT Control account. When you make your payment to SARS for VAT, it should also go to the 9500/000 account as a tax type 00 entry. If you have a difference between the Tax Total and the tax control account, you need to investigate why. This can be caused by journals that have been processed to the control account, or by processing entries into a period after the VAT report was run and submitted. Eg you run the vat report for December, pay the VAT in January, then process entries in December again. The tax control account is a balance sheet item, and the differences in any prior period would accumulate over time, leading to a large discrepancy between the report and the control account.
    3 - The control account should balance to the tax report

11. Thanks given for this post:

Michelle271 (30-Jan-19)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info. We will look for the time they did balance and search from there>

Thanks

Thanks
    Hi how can we fix the problem? (question 3 from yesterday) We think it started in 2011.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast