Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: BBBEE wrong

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    There are certain things that have to be imported, but most things can be sourced from local manufacturers or suppliers. By supporting local industry, one is preserving local jobs as well as the skills to keep that industry going. Once we lose those skills we will never get it back. The problem with local industry is that we do not have the required volumes to be really competitive. If we all support local industries, it may eventually happen. Manufacturers should also look at their quality and aim to export as that will give them critical mass to be truly competitive.

Quality should be a much higher consideration as it will be cheaper in the long run. Cheap, low quality imports are devastating to any economy as it destroys all the economic principles. The poor people suffer most as they cannot afford the better quality and then opt for a cheaper alternative which does not last and has to be replaced soon. So they end up paying over and over to replace the same thing. As they say in Afrikaans "goedkoop is duur koop".
    I'm going to whisper this because its probably not PC on this site, but I reckon there is some value in the BBEEE concept. I would just change two things:

1) PDI should become RDI - Recently Disadvantaged Individuals, so anybody who say 5 years ago was below a certain economic level. Take race out of entirely. It will of course still cover mainly the black population so no real change. Except the tenderpreneurs and the black elite will now be excluded - and rightly so. It will now function to genuinely give those who need it that slight advantage and act in a small way as a redistribution of wealth - but only to those actually working for it.

2) Give points for local content and penalise for imported content. I have serious doubts about the international business communities push for "free trade". I think a balance is necessary. Its not possible to compete against countries with huge local markets, established industries or those with virtually no labour laws. The playing fields are quite simply not level. So lets give local business an advantage. Lets not become over protective and uncompetitive, so some international competition should be allowed, but the inequalities need to be evened out a bit.

Points for educating and training, and community development remain good concepts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BusFact View Post
    2) Give points for local content and penalise for imported content.
    The new Codes do award points for procuring from suppliers with a high local content (part of the "empowering suppliers" provision).

I fully agree with the rest of your post but, unfortunately, the changes introduced by the new Codes contradict the very ethos of broad-based economic empowerment. The most recent debacle with the points for employee share schemes and similar broad-based ownership initiatives being severely curtailed is a blatant indication that government is only interested in the enrichment of a politically-connected black minority.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    My objective is to tell my customers I am BEE rated. No comebacks from the customers who asked for the rating.
    This whole BEE system just adds another layer of bureaucracy to business in South Africa

the thing i dont get is why we need it at all
    i mean we are so tiny we dont earn large
    amounts of money why do we need it?

just because some customers demands it?
    nope dont think so

Thanks
    Bones
    BEE does not make sense, but at least my customers can say to their bosses I am BEE rated. Whether this will make a difference I don't know
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    The new Codes do award points for procuring from suppliers with a high local content (part of the "empowering suppliers" provision).

I fully agree with the rest of your post but, unfortunately, the changes introduced by the new Codes contradict the very ethos of broad-based economic empowerment. The most recent debacle with the points for employee share schemes and similar broad-based ownership initiatives being severely curtailed is a blatant indication that government is only interested in the enrichment of a politically-connected black minority.
    Finally we get to the truth. BEE is discrimination and should be challenged in court.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    the thing i dont get is why we need it at all
    i mean we are so tiny we dont earn large
    amounts of money why do we need it?

just because some customers demands it?
    nope dont think so
    You don't "need" one. Its not a legal requirement. Its only something required by your customer. In the same way some corporates insist on the vendor having a VAT number, or a tax clearance certificate, or a customer wanting work references, or wanting to first tour and inspect your premises, or asking after a website you have, or a product spec sheet or a safety data sheet .....

It gets their boss of their back and makes their lives easier - hang on, doesn't that sound familiar? Isn't that why we're selling our products or services ion the first place - to make someone elses life easier or better?

You can take the moral high ground and not get one or you can cough up a few grand to get a piece of paper that will expand your potential customer base. Its a business decision.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (17-May-15)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    That's good to hear. Is it a significant portion? I reckon it should possibly be a third of the value. A third each to: 1) RDI points, 2) Local content, 3) The rest.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    and exactly who or how is this going to be monitored/reported in order that you can claim points that the product has a local content?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Local content means nothing. In spite of the National Procurement Policy calling for local content, the government still buy CCI (cheap chinese imports).
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BusFact View Post
    That's good to hear. Is it a significant portion? I reckon it should possibly be a third of the value. A third each to: 1) RDI points, 2) Local content, 3) The rest.
    The proportion of points ring-fenced for procuring from "empowering suppliers" varies according to which scorecard a company uses (i.e. generic, QSE, or sector-specific), but for the sake of illustration 21 of the 25 Procurement points on the generic scorecard hinge on procuring from "empowering suppliers".

A company is deemed to be an "empowering supplier" if it is an Exempt Micro Enterprise (i.e. has an annual turnover below R10 million) or if it satisfies up to three of the following four criteria:

(a) 25% of cost of sales locally sourced;
    (b) 25% of manufacturing, production, and/or packaging completed locally;
    (c) 50% of jobs created for black people; and/or
    (d) 12 days of productivity per year allocated to supporting black SMEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    and exactly who or how is this going to be monitored/reported in order that you can claim points that the product has a local content?
    Companies will need to prove that they are "empowering suppliers" (e.g. that they source locally) when they are independently certified by their auditor or verification agency. If they can't produce independently verifiable evidence, then they won't earn their points.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

12. Thanks given for this post:

BusFact (18-May-15)

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast