Thread: What is the best way to use cost codes?

Email problem
    Thanks

Question What is the best way to use cost codes?

We have recently purchased a Pastel X-Press Startup package to properly take care of our new company's set of accounts. I have some Pastel experience, but we have never had to use the cost codes function before, and now that we are hoping to allocate specific costs to specific projects it seems like the cost code route will be of use to us.

I have set up our first project under "project codes" and have been using this code when capturing the cashbook, but when I tried drawing a report today it came up completely blank!

Is there anyone that can tell me how to properly make use of the cost/project codes option, or if we should buy the project manager module? (can that module even be added onto the Xpress package?)

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Hi Danielle,

It seems that you are using Project Codes correctly, based on what you have said. However, I don't know why the report is not showing anything. Have you updated all your batches and have you checked that you have selected the correct period/date range when running the report?

The Project Tracking module is an add-on module for Pastel Partner only, and has many more advanced features compared to the standard Project Codes utility. You can download a PDF brochure of the module from here.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thank you Neville, I appreciate the feedback. Everything definitely was updated, and as far as I am aware everything was correct at the point of drawing the report, but I will double-check it

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Neville,

I just wanted to send you some feedback regarding my query, I hope that it helps you as well. I checked all the detail as you suggested, but could still not find the problem. I called Pastel directly to see if they can tell me what the issue is, and they said that Pastel Express Startup has the option for us to create cost codes and allocate expenses to them, but we can't view any reports per cost code as there is no report writer in the Xpress Package - we have to buy Partner and Project Tracker instead.

It is a bit of a problem, but at least we know what to do to solve it now

Thank you so much again for offering me the advice you did - much appreciated!

Kind regards

Danielle