Thread: Electrical and Water meters audit

Thanks

Electrical and Water meters audit

Is there people specializing in doing an audit in say the last ten years on your municipal account?

My problem is that my meter was never read. The estimates was always acceptable, so I never bothered to complain. However, a year ago, things started to go haywire and I got astronomical accounts. I then investigated and saw that the meter readings they estimated over the years, is totally different from the actual. The actual now was much much higher. I then started doing a spreadsheet and found that the readings sometimes just jumped by a huge amount and other times just started from zero again.

I begged for a reading and was promised they will come, time and time again, a year ago. Eventually I sought professional help after three months and got hold of a group that is taking action against the municipality. I however now realized that they concentrate on the illegal tariffs being charged and not so much meter readings. The municipality is huffing and puffing, threatening to cut me off, which they did on paper about four times already, but not in practice, as they can not find the place! The group says they can do nothing till it is actually cut off.

In the meantime my municipal account is getting fatter and fatter, (R70 000) as they still overcharge every month and I am just paying what I used, according to photos I take of the meters every month. I am doing this for a year now and it shows how impossible their readings have been for the past 10 years.

I need a company that can help me put together a case against the Municipality and can help me fight it. It is too specialized for me to do, as pricing also come into effect. You get these auditors that will take your bond, audit it and take the bank to task for the extra fees taken illegally over the years. I need someone like that that does the same thing with your water and electricity bill.

Does people like that exist, that have a track record and is financially affordable to use? I tried a Google search, but battle to find the right search terms.
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Thanks
    Anyone?

Thanks
    I am sure someone must know something? No advice?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only thought that came to my mind was the Jhb billing fiasco that was making headlines about a year ago.

I think it was the ratepayer associations that were doing the fighting though - I don't recall any mention of a private company or group as such along the lines of what you seem to be looking for.

Thanks
    Thanks Dave. Looks I will have to go the expensive, attorney route.