Thread: Batteries/Cells

Thanks

Batteries/Cells

Hi guys,
    I recently installed a solar/pv residential lighting and power system of 3kwh per day with 12 x 2V 600Ah cells to make 24V 600Ah. Now the problem is I seem to be topping up water on only the first 6 cells in the series and not the rest. Any idea what could be the problem or is that normal?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    mmmm interesting. I am no expert and just speculating here, but it may be that the first 6 cells are close to or in direct contact with a heat source, causing the cells internally to heat up and boil the water away.

Note the heat source could be direct sun, or next to a wall which receives sun, or next to some equipment which produces heat, or in the path of warm air.

Alternatively the cells are not matched so the voltage may be higher/lower causing the battery to charger faster slower than the other cells, and it so happens that the 1st 6 cells are from one manufactured batch, and the other 6 are from another batch.

Best to do is measure accurately each cell voltage. Move the cells around to see that the same cells require water.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I'm definitely gonna try the last suggestion " move the batteries around" and see if the same thing continues