Thread: Old student debt query

Thanks

Old student debt query

Hi...

I have a question related to (what I assume to be) an old student debt.

Recently I contacted my old university (UKZN) for an unrelated question - I've been trying to get info about my marks there for possible accreditation for further study. The first times I tried to contact them, they passed the buck and never got back to me.

However, after contacting them again, I've received a reply saying I should contact an 031 (Durban) number, because of a 'debtors hold' of some sort.

The thing is, I left the university 10 years ago. Also, I never completed my studies - after one semester I left because I couldn't afford to stay, nor could I get a loan. I paid the fees for this semester in full though, using my savings from work for the previous few years, and a small bursary.

It seems a bit strange that now ten years later I should have to contact them about some nebulous 'debt'. I've asked for an email address as I don't really want to spend too much money on unproductive phone calls (I'm living abroad now), but have received no reply again.

Should I contact this 031 number, or do I risk opening a can of worms? I've heard absolutely nothing about this for the last 10 years, this is the first...and the only thing I can imagine is a library fine or something, although surely they wouldn't keep this on record or try to reclaim it after so long...

Any advice welcome! Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd suggest as a fist step ask for a full statement of all invoices raised and payments received over the full period of your studies. At least that way you stand a chance of identifying how the debt arose, or finalising that you don't actually owe them any money.

If they can't prove the debt - well, you'll be in a much better position to move the matter forward with them.

Thanks

Thanks, further question

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'd suggest as a fist step ask for a full statement of all invoices raised and payments received over the full period of your studies. At least that way you stand a chance of identifying how the debt arose, or finalising that you don't actually owe them any money.

If they can't prove the debt - well, you'll be in a much better position to move the matter forward with them.
    Thanks for the advice. I wonder though, if I was to contact them at all, would I perhaps be in danger of then somehow having 'acknowledged' any debt (presuming I have to identify myself before they give me the abovementioned info), and then opening up the case again, meaning any chance of it having expired might be jeopardised?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only if you acknowledge that you owe them anything. At this point you're asking them to provide evidence of their claim that you owe them money, because your view is you don't owe them a cent.