Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrical contractor registration

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    2 March and still waiting for email containing documents required to register.
    Send me your email and then I will send you the paper work

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have all the paperwork, i got it from the ECB, but out of principle i will wait till the DOL send it to me, before i submit it, i would like them to make an example of me and take me to task with regards to issuing COC as an "unregistered contractor".

Anyone have an email address for them so i can send them an email requestng the paper work, it would work better if i have email proof of the request.

I operated as a pirate contractor for 10 years lets see how look it will take this time.

Thanks
    ians.

You were lucky to get through on the phone. I have tried both numbers given to me - landline never gets answered and the mobile as well and I cant leave a message as the mailbox is full.

Is the paperwork the same as before which just has to go through the DOL or have they changed that as well.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Yesterday I received the new instructions for registering with the DOL, its the same as i have picked up here. After finally getting my head around it I called the number in Jhb as indicated. No one answered so now I am stumped.
    What I dont understand is that they claim there is no database for registered electricians....what happened to the one I was on when the ECB did the registrations? The young lady used to punch my number into a computer and all my details came up???
    Also, if they are capable of putting the COC's online why does the registrations have to be done manually?
    Lastly, being a member of the ECA i would imagine they would assist with all this stuff, anybody know?
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    2 March and still waiting for email containing documents required to register.
    Hi Guys
    With all the issues with the DOL and registration is worth the effort to register for three years at R 360 to avoid any snags next year or will they change back to ECB and I lose the R360

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It just the government trying to get their piece of cake, everyone complains about unemployment in this country...mmm need I say more. "SKILLS" and "EDUCATION"

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hold onto your seat people, you wont believe it, the ECA bares it teeth...blah, blah, blah. Front page of the Sparks magazine.

They still haven't received a reply from the DOL chief inspector, how on earth do people expect us run an electrical business and register our business with the DOL if the ECA cant even get a response from the Chief inspector.

The general public should be up in arms, because when it comes to electrical installations in this country it is a free for all. Lucky for us there aren't too many people being burnt to death form electrical fires or electrocuted. You could be asking the question, if it working without all the rules and regs, do we really need them?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I have just registered last week in Alberton. It was an interesting experience but not as difficult as I expected. getting all the correct forms was a pain but the registration took 10 minutes and i walked away with my form.
    I was offered the choice of paying 1, 2 or 3 years as well and when i asked what was the procedure for re registration next year I was informed that no one knew what would be happening next year. So I thought, what's the point if next year registration is done at the till in Checkers? I'll let next year come and see what is going to happen
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    I have just registered last week in Alberton. It was an interesting experience but not as difficult as I expected. getting all the correct forms was a pain but the registration took 10 minutes and i walked away with my form.
    I was offered the choice of paying 1, 2 or 3 years as well and when i asked what was the procedure for re registration next year I was informed that no one knew what would be happening next year. So I thought, what's the point if next year registration is done at the till in Checkers? I'll let next year come and see what is going to happen
    looks like I should go with your suggestion and register for one year and play the waiting game

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am just going to keep playing the waiting game until I get caught, last time I operated for 10 years as a pirate contractors signing COC like there was no tomorrow, the only reason I registered again was because I was doing work with a reputable person, but haven't done work with him for a while so I am walking the plank again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast