Thread: Downlighters

Thanks

Downlighters

Hey guys, I've got a bit of a situation. I've just attended a fault in a home where their downlighters are blowing up quite often and having to be replaced regularly. These downlighters are the halogen 220V 50W type with a GU10 fitting. I've checked the power supply, earthing and possible loose connections and everything seems fine to me. Any ideas as to a likely cause?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Crappy cheap down lighters?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A common problem with the 230 volt 50 watt lamps, the reason i dont install them for customers. Replace them with 230 volt led 3watt lamps cool white is they want more light or warm white if they want subtle light, or if they want brighter lights go with the 7 watt, but you pay. Just remember you can dim led lights but a special dimmer is required and you must check the box to make sur ethe lamps are the dimmable type.

4. Thanks given for this post:

CollenD (06-Feb-13)

Thanks
    I have a lot of downlighters in my home and office at home. They are still the old 50w and 20w type (not the new fancy 4.5 w LED's). If I replace 1 maybe in a month or so, it's a lot. And they burn for between 6 & 8 hours per day. I installed them my self about 6 years ago and I was careful to match the transformers with the globes. I only have Osram lamps and transformers. There is another well known make with a red/white label which is cheap and nasty. So maybe the ones you using are cheap crappy ones?

6. Thanks given for this post:

CollenD (06-Feb-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Maybe one should be a bit more scientific about the whole thing. Draw a plan of the fittings and log the date that they are being replaced, manufacturer and specs. Could be that 'quite often' and 'regularly' are a figment of tye customer's imagination.

All I am saying is that the entire discussion is a waste of time without being able to quantify the manufacturer / failure rate.

Thanks
    True.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I normally identify lamps as faulty if they need to be repalced within a year of installation, i normally mark the lamp with a koki. We are talking about a standard domestic installation.

10. Thanks given for this post:

CollenD (06-Feb-13)

Thanks
    Good enough; I don't think one needs a spreadsheet and a complicated electrical analysis by an electrical engineer Buy the brand I suggested above and see how it goes. After all, you've done everything else.