Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Make the Leap

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anthuwin View Post
    That's the way the traditional mlm and network marketing companies operate.You get an Intro pack,training and products,meetings,phone prospects...exc
    However,in today's world,its a different ballgame.You do everything with your computer.This is called internet marketing.
    Here's a fact:network marketing and internet marketing has produced the most millionaires in any industry.And is highly recommended by Donald Trump and Robert Kiyosaki.I think i'll take a slice of that cake.
    Please don't spam me
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have never been to an MLM recruitment meeting (yes, that is what it is) where they promote or introduce any products. They get very dismissive and vague when you start asking about products.

All they do is tell you how easy it is to work from home, spend time with your family and enjoy the profits of your MLM scheme. None of this is true. MLM is hard work and many evenings (and sometimes weekends) spent away from your family, attending meetings and trying to recruit more people to operate under you.

Here is what the Federal Trade Commission in the USA have to say on MLM;
    In multilevel or network marketing, individuals sell products to the public — often by word of mouth and direct sales. Typically, distributors earn commissions, not only for their own sales, but also for sales made by the people they recruit.

Not all multilevel marketing plans are legitimate. If the money you make is based on your sales to the public, it may be a legitimate multilevel marketing plan. If the money you make is based on the number of people you recruit and your sales to them, it’s not. It's a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes are illegal, and the vast majority of participants lose money.

If you’re considering buying into a multilevel marketing plan, get the details.
    http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...evel-marketing Please heed their very valid warning.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (04-Mar-13)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I have never been to an MLM recruitment meeting (yes, that is what it is) where they promote or introduce any products. They get very dismissive and vague when you start asking about products.

All they do is tell you how easy it is to work from home, spend time with your family and enjoy the profits of your MLM scheme. None of this is true. MLM is hard work and many evenings (and sometimes weekends) spent away from your family, attending meetings and trying to recruit more people to operate under you.

Here is what the Federal Trade Commission in the USA have to say on MLM;
    In multilevel or network marketing, individuals sell products to the public — often by word of mouth and direct sales. Typically, distributors earn commissions, not only for their own sales, but also for sales made by the people they recruit.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...evel-marketing Please heed their very valid warning.
    Hi Blurock

I am a new member to the forum and was initially pleasantly surprised at the level of openness to MLM.
    This thread has been quite the opposite - wow, and then some.

The warning about MLMs that you posted is a really valid one. I, unlike you, am a mlm junkie. I believe in duplication being the key to any sales force, no matter what you are selling. The more sales people in my team, the more my volume of sales. For their effort, I split the profit with them by way of commission payments.

Now a mlm is exactly the same thing.

The warning that you have stated though is a very tenious one, the way that you have stated it. It would hold true of most mlm businesses, yet they are approved by DTI and FSB.

The essense of the law, as I understand it, is that there needs to be a legitimate product sold. The focus of the business needs to be more than the recruitment of people for gain. It is highly subjective.

I understand that in order to introduce a mlm plan to the forum requires that the product is clearly identified and the business model explained, as well as a clear explanation of the commission structure used in the model. I am very in favour of this. It goes to the root of many people's dislike of mlm. They are invited to a presentation without being told what it is about and are sucked in with hype, their money taken and very little else. From then they have to work their butts off to dupe the next individual and so on till they make some money from the scheme.

I have looked at Amway, Herbalife, Sportron and many more. I've been duped into 1 or 2.

I recently attended a meeting for the sake of the person who invited me. (I needed her help with something I wanted to get into.) I promised my wife I would be respectful and tactful. I was going to be seen and would leave as soon as possible. Well the presenter threw the usual cliches like it is your business etc etc.

By the time I got home and my wife asked how it went, I grudgingly said that I like the model. I have been a little concerned over the lack of product training and the lack of focus on the product. I have been researching the legal aspects of mlm businesses and found the basic ground rule is that there needs to be a product which is the core of what is being marketed, as opposed to the recruitment - or business opportunity.

I have been selling a product 1 on 1 to individuals. The product is absolutely brilliant. The service being offered is magnificent. The sad reality is that selling it like this would take years for us to get the word out. The competition is well entrenched in the market - don't offer the same level of service, but are well established.

The way to sell this product is to get it to the corporates who have the numbers. Most of us don't have the intro to the decision makers and so never get past first base.

Recruit a few reps, I hear someone say. Now the product is so affordable that the commission element is too small to attract dedicated reps.

What if I could show these dedicated reps that they should duplicate themselves while selling it themselves? Well, if I get right what I hope to in the next few months, it will take 2 to 3 years and this service provider will be as much a part of South African's lives as Handy Andy.

There is definitely a place in society for mlm.

btw: every business in the world is - lesser or larger degree - a pyramid scheme. One at the top and a few beneath him and then more and more workers further down. Is it possible for the workers at the bottom to realise the earning potential of the company they are working for? Usually not. At least in legitimate mlm, the guys further down have the ability to increase earnings in line with the growth of the company.

We need to do our due diligence on the companies we support, since there are a lot of sharks out there who would take advantage of struggling people. We should not throw out the baby with the bathwater, though.

5. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (05-Mar-13), Dave A (05-Mar-13), wynn (06-Mar-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    @milkren, Thank you for a very well thought out post. My resentment with MLM may be the hard sell and the blatant lies told to little old ladies with no marketing or selling skills. One just have to attend one of those meetings to see the little heads nodding in absolute awe and approval of the "doctor", "lawyer" or "accountant" who has made so much money staying at home with their families that they could give up their practice and concentrate all their attention on MLM. Bullshit!!!

Direct selling is hard work and the surest way to get friends and family to shun you and never talk to you again. (That is if you are doing it right by being persistent and using every opportunity to sell. You will not be successful any other way).

Quote Originally Posted by mikren View Post
    btw: every business in the world is - lesser or larger degree - a pyramid scheme. One at the top and a few beneath him and then more and more workers further down. Is it possible for the workers at the bottom to realise the earning potential of the company they are working for? Usually not. At least in legitimate mlm, the guys further down have the ability to increase earnings in line with the growth of the company.
    I am afraid I can not agree with you on this one. A company organogram or chain of command may resemble a pyramid in its structure, but it does not operate like a pyramid scheme. Employees earn a set salary and do not have to recruit people below them to earn a living. (also refer to other threads for the definition of a pyramid scheme)
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123