Every single one of us has the internet otherwise we wouldn’t be here on the net. So knowing that most of us are actually using 3G or rather mobile internet I would imagine that I am not the only one feeling a bit blue… or red with anger maybe just plain discouraged.

In my situation I pay for a 3G contract that claims you will have a good fast connection. I live 2Km away from one tower and 1.5Km away from a second tower and 3.0Km away from a third. So basically if you look in any direction there you will see a nice big tower. It just so happen that I know for a fact that all of them are from the same service provider.

Yet I get GPRS? Regardless and my net is stable some days but others especially after 3:00PM I can forget about any connection.

Problem solving: Can you build a DIY dish to amplify your signal? Yes and it is really simple to do and I will include pictures later on. Are there actually stuff you can buy to amplify your signal? Yes and really the prices isn’t all that bad.

Lest start with the system you can buy; 11dBi GSM Booster Kit as shown on the website it is really not a bad little device and the price is really not that horrible. I do own some of there other equipment and it is of good quality.

I am saving up for this booster myself.

So what are your thoughts on 3G and what home made solutions did you try?

My personal DIY system is not that bad. I boosted my signal from GPRS to WCDMA at a signal strength of 99% Now before I try explain it all I would rather just show you a picture or two. Now one must have is a USB ponytail because you will need the extra power from the second USB “very bad news if you run a notebook I know. But the USB extension works better if it has a bit more power.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	3255 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	3256

I found that if you elevate the modem and place it on a piece of plastic and then secure so that it doesn't touch the metal parts that it works best. I am getting a supper strong signal but the net is still slow. And or I will just lose my connection regardless of the FACT that I have a 99% signal strength.

Also I wouldn't recommend the DIY because I really don't know what health concerns there are... So do it at your own risk.

Also as a note: Unplug it when you see a thunder storm. For some reason my previous modem didn't survive.