Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School language policy

Thanks
    Gosh, is anyone actually interested in posting a respectful reply to this? It seems to me like jeriel01 just wants the best possible education for their child, and doesn't feel like they are getting it.

It is the right of every learner in South Africa to learn through the medium of instruction of their choice, as long as it is an official language of South Africa (according to Chapter 2, section 29 of the SA Constitution). The learner (or their parent/s) must choose their preferred language of teaching when they apply for a place at a school, and as long as the school offers that language option and has space available, it has to admit the student (you can read the 1997 Language in Education Policy for more info). However, from the side of the school, as far as I can tell the only regulation relating to language is that they need to offer a second official language as a subject in addition to the language used as medium of instruction. So it is not even a requirement for them to offer two different options for medium of instruction, as your child's school does. And as far as I can tell, there are no rules governing what language is used outside of the classroom, e.g. in assemblies, announcements etc., although I understand that all public schools are supposed to develop their own language policies, which I'm sure you must have a right to see. Perhaps you could ask to see a copy of the school language policy? It might be interesting to see what they say they will do, compared to what they actually do. And if it turns out that they haven't developed a language policy, this might be what they need to get them thinking about the language issue.

I would say that the one area you would definitely be justified in questioning is the use of Afrikaans in the English class. If it is supposed to be an English-medium class, the teachers have to teach in English, and you're right, it's not at all fair that your child should be disadvantaged because he/she doesn't speak Afrikaans, when you sent them to the school so that they could learn in English.

Have you spoken to any other parents of children in the English class? Maybe if there are a few of you who feel the same way, you could present your concerns to the school, and it might bear a bit more weight than if it was just you.

In terms of the access to information aspect, a 'Use of Official Languages' Act was passed last year which deals with that; you can see it here. It states that each national government department has to establish a language unit which is supposed to facilitate equitable access to information and services of the department. So the Department of Basic Education would have to do this, but the problem is that I don't think these regulations filter down to individual schools. The Constitution says that everybody has a right to equality, and that the state may not unfairly discriminate against anyone on the grounds of language (chapter 2, section 9.3). So I suppose that in so far as the school is a state entity, you could argue that it is denying your right to equality. But, as other people in this thread have said, you could always send your child to an English-only school if you want to have access to information etc. from the school.

Basically it seems to me that the school hasn't really thought through its language practices very well - it has tried to go some way to making itself more accessible to non-Afrikaans-speaking students, but hasn't gone far enough, leaving the English-speaking school population at a disadvantage. It is really hard to create an environment where two languages are completely equal, especially if there is a lack of resources, so I don't think you can really blame the school, but at the very least, your child should be able to be taught in English in his/her 'English-medium' classes.

Whew, that was a bit of an essay, sorry! Hope it helps...

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (22-Jan-13), jeriel01 (23-Jan-13), Mike C (22-Jan-13)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12