Thread: Hi Bay Light Fittings

Thanks

Hi Bay Light Fittings

I have 12 Hi bay light fittings in the factory area. All of these are fitted with 400 w MV globes.
    To convert to 105 w CFL energy savers.......................can I simply screw in the new ones, or must the ballast be bypassed ?
    A nice easy one for the fundi's !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Usually if you're replacing with CFL you would need to make the switchgear redundant and just apply straight 220v supply directly to the lamp holder.

I've never seen CFL's retrofitted in any other way but I would suggest you double check this with the supplier because technology is constantly changing especially in the field of lamps.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (21-Jan-13)

Email problem
    Thanks
    i think the GES lampholder cfl,s are different . it comes with an electronic ballast. probably no space in the lamp due to the wattage. i have never installed them but seen it advertised. hotflo in maitland sells them.

Thanks
    The one's I have has an E40 base and no other switch gear was supplied. Only the lamps.
    I know that they do work if I screw them directly into a fitting with no ballast inside but I am not sure if I should try these in the new hi bay fittings fitted the other day without having the ballast removed.
    I shall have to get the sparky in again to do the change if I cannot go the easy route.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    I have been doing it the past 3 months now every day. 400W MVs' I am replacing with either 85W or 200W CFLs'. Depending on the height, quantity of fittings in the area and required amount of light. I am also using 50W LEDs' in certain areas. Depending on the lamps you might need to change a lampholder but, if the lampholder size is the same all you need do is put your supply directly onto the lampholder. Removing the gear from the box wastes time so I just leave it there, merely bypass it. It takes long enough to get the scissor jack into place without wasting time removing redundant components.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    The one's I have has an E40 base and no other switch gear was supplied. Only the lamps.
    I know that they do work if I screw them directly into a fitting with no ballast inside but I am not sure if I should try these in the new hi bay fittings fitted the other day without having the ballast removed.
    As Sparks says, make the switchgear redundant and just connect power directly to the lampholder.
    If you know for a fact a lamp runs without a ballast connected then there's a very good chance you'll destroy the lamp quicksticks if you put it in a fitting that still has a ballast connected.