Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet connectivity in South Africa

Thanks

Unhappy Internet connectivity in South Africa

Having a look at the various options for connectivity is a real pain, esp. if you are a novice. ADSL, 3G, HSDPA, Satelite... and the list goes on. I signed with IBurst and had 7-days to test the product, I tested and tested, the download transfer rates were what I was looking at, on a connection of 1Mb i'm only getting (average) 28.9KB/s transfer rate, surely this should be a lot closer to 128KB/s? Contact my supplier, they send technicians to install all sorts of expensive antenas and signal enhancers, so transfer goes up to 33.7KB/s but fluctuates between 6.9KB/s and 57.7KB/s, ok, take down all these expensive antenas and we're back to 32.2KB/s with a fluctuation between 19.9KB/s and 44.3KB/s, at least a little better, my AVG updates don't download to well with massive fluctuations. The point I'm trying to make, when is the supplier legally bound to provide the service that one pays for? Surely a 1Mb connection should be held to certain rules, say, between 700Kb (87.5KB/s) and 1Mb (128KB/s) that's 300Kb or 37.5KB/s difference would be acceptable fluctuation? Even this would not be what I would consider as "Best effort" (another vague clause in these contracts), How does one solve the problem?
    Last edited by Dave A; 11-Jul-07 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Make title more relevant

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    So I take it your 7 day grace period is gone...

Problem is in the contract itself whereby the companies themselves leave so many loopholes for themselves to give crappy service... Family of mine is in JHB and he also only got decent connection speeds on IBurst once he installed a major antenna on his roof...

Contact them and try and speak to someone higher up the monkey chain, if that fails, try http://hellopeter.com/comp_comment.asp?cid=766 and launch a complaint... IBurst is one of the companies that do respond to what people are saying on there and that would probably help getting you a decent connection...

Good luck and let us know of the outcome

Thanks
    Yes, the 7-days are long gone, and I have already spoken with IBurst and in all fairness, they have treated me civilly, the problem is my area is on the back side of a mountain chain and they have a problem with permissions to erect towers, etc. The nearest tower to me is some 10-12Km distant, perhaps in the not-to-distant future they will get to erect something closer, but they do not say that this is on the cards at all, by the by, I'm in Bloubosrand, Randburg.

Thanks
    Did you go for the 24month contract or the month-to-month package? Might not be a bad idea to get in contact with someone who has HSDPA to spend a few minutes at your place and check out whether or not that might be an option...

One of my clients recently purchased the HSDPA card(2grand) and Vodacom has the new option of buying data bundles which allows for data at 20c/MB which in all fairness seems like it's going to trump any ADSL package hellkom can throw down to the public(disgusting)...

Far as I know Randburg is 100% covered for HSDPA so should not be a problem if you decide to go that way, depends on your contract with IBurst though...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    i feel for you, the fact that you have fallen into the 24 month contract with a service provider.

I recommend you contact someone that has a good knowledge about wireless and can assist you in that regard. Dont trust what people tell you until multiple people say that same thing.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS Computer Solutions View Post

One of my clients recently purchased the HSDPA card(2grand) and Vodacom has the new option of buying data bundles which allows for data at 20c/MB which in all fairness seems like it's going to trump any ADSL package hellkom can throw down to the public(disgusting)...
    This only applies to the very, very expensive data bundles, all other bundles start at higher rates.

Nothing can beat ADSL's 9c/MB price! And ADSL is also much more "stable", if it's in your area

Thanks
    Softdux, please draw me a picture...

How do you get to 9c/MB ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS Computer Solutions View Post
    Softdux, please draw me a picture...

How do you get to 9c/MB ?
    How much are you paying for ADSL?

I pay R61.40 + VAT = R69.99 pm

R69.99 / 1024 (Yes, 1GB = 1024 Megabytes) = R0.06.

oops, I made a calculation error earlier on, it's 6c /Mb

Thanks
    You just also need to factor in the ADSL line rental...
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks

Question IBurst and ADSL

Hi Folks,

I've been reading comments on rentals for ADSL and IBurst and I'm a bit confused about pricing. My Iburst ISP is Interprise and I pay R749.00 p/m, this includes 3 x e mail addresses, all hardware, 3GB cap, 1GB connection. I.E. Total package deal. How does this compare to other suppliers and ADSL? Unfortunately ADSL is not available in my area.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast