Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet connectivity in South Africa

Thanks
    I am not someone that like contracts, infact contracts are imo debt because there are always some surprising costs the was never mentioned.

Question?

So I buy a HSDPA modem cash at Vodacom for R2699 and then buy 2GB Databundle each month (Without a contract) @ R 449.00
    Compared to
    Telkom, buy DSL modem @ R350 + R437.50 dsl instalation and then monthly pay DSL Up to 384kbps @ R152 p/m + line rental @ R245p/m Total monthly as advertised by Telkom = R397p/m (Any hidden costs I missed will be appreciated)

Which is realistically the better deal?
    Is the above a true reflection of what I can expect to pay in your experience?

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    Softdux, you're missing ADSL line rental as well as telephone line rental. Do yourself a favor and hop on over to http://www.hellkom.co.za and read about being Unproudly South African!

Dave S, http://www.hellkom.co.za/ispprices/ should give you a better understanding regarding prices.

Welcome Chatmaster! Realistically speaking, splash on the HSDPA... It's a bigger upfront layout, but can be written off to TAX and you gain more. If you take into consideration only speed, 384kbps vs 1.6MB if your coverage is good, it would be like flying a Fokker F100 vs a Supersonic Jet!

At 22c/MB it's a huge bargain, specifically if your on the road or planning to take extended leave of absence from your abode/office and would like to be able to have connectivity wherever you are...

(Does that 397p/m include the bandwidth?)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    hrm.... maybe i should have posted in this thread a bit sooner :P

ok here is the breakdown of what your costs are going to be including the hidden ones:

Line rental (telephone)
    ADSL Line Rental (ADSL Line)
    ISP Cost

Those are monthly charges now as for the startup costs

Monthly Rental x2
    ISP Cost
    ADSL Modem/Router + filter to make your line dual with fax or phone
    Labour charges (IT Company or you could do it yourself)

as far as the actual R amounts you looking at a change in august. There will be a decrease in pricing on the Telkom side of things.

Now as far as recommending a solution.... if you mobile take 3G/HSDPA if you stationary take ADSL (its less expensive and you can do more with it like remote connections etc) If you got the Cash get ADSL + 3G for mobile. BEST SOLUTION as you can remote into your ADSL line and collect your mail from your local mail server and such things.

If you lost ..... Ask :P
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    I don't like the taking future changes in to a decision that I need to make today, only after ICASA has approved Telkom new charges can one base decisions upon that. Currently Telkom is NOT cheap. Look here

When taking line rental, isp cost (3Gb) and access cost you get R583.92
    This is for residential line, 3gb advanced access and 384kbps line.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    do note that the amount you mentioned needs to be multiplied by 2 for startup costs
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    No matter which way you look at it, Telkom is still raping this country...

Thanks
    There has been so many petitions, boycotts, what-have-yous, and every time they just shrug and say, lets see you try it otherwise. When is there going to be some decent competition for this evil entity? When is Neotel going to try and come up for a taste of the pie?

Thanks
    Neotel (http://www.neotel.co.za) was supposed to launch for business in JHB/PTA 1 June 2007, but nothing has come of it because the idiots at ICASA is not very keen on getting out of their beds in the morning and actually putting in a decent days work....

Until ICASA gets the finalities sorted, we can only wait with baited breath...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This whole SNO - Neotel business has taken forever. When it comes to the launch of Neotel services, let's just say I hope it doesn't take them that long to get in a line when you order.

Thanks
    I must say that this does not bode well for their service delivery. If one can not meet a launch date, then what can be expected of ones services, never mind the support :P

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast