Thread: Study Advise

Email problem
    Thanks

Study Advise

Hey Peeps,

I need some advise plz guys and girls. I want to go and study this year to further my skills and give me a bit of an edge in our company. Our company is rather small and new but is growing very fast into a big orginisation. I dont want to be left behind. I can only study after hours as I still need to work during the day. I would like some advise into where and what to study. Also what accreditation should I look for at the College/University to ensure its not all in vain. Im thinking of a diploma in Business Management to start of with then later to move on to an degree in management.

Any advise would be fantastic!

Thanx

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Why not just look to do a degree from the start?

You could do a BCom and major in business management with UNISA. You'll then have an internationally recognised qualification. The nice thing about UNISA is that you can do it at your own pace by just doing as many modules per semester as you think you can handle.

My cousin plays professional tennis and travels all around the world to Wimbledon, the Aussie Open, etc. and she has done her degree with UNISA over 6 or 7 years. She just does 2-3 modules at a time.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (18-Jan-13)

Suspended
    Thanks

Study Advise

I think you need to go for the field and subjects which best suits your job nature and skill requirements, and which would be more likely to enhance your work related skills and knowledge. And you can grow well in your career in a comparatively short period.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    +1 Mark

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    +2 Tackle

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I want to go and study this year to further my skills and give me a bit of an edge in our company.
    @Scaffold, It is never too late to start studying and and your learning curve is so much faster once you have some studies under your belt. It will definitely give you some edge in your business.

Good advice Mark. Studying for a diploma would require just as much effort as studying for a degree. BCom is a general business degree and you may decide at a later stage whether you would want to add on any specifics. Go for it!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Planning to study further, well done!
    Okay, so you’ve established that you can’t attend class during the day. This leaves two options evening classes which are normally twice a week or correspondence; you don’t attend lectures, get two assignments per subject and write one exam.
    1. Try and decide whether you want to do a degree, national diploma or diploma.
    2. A National Diploma is actually a very good place to start as you have a National Diploma in just about every filed e.g. NDIP General Management, NDIP Accounting, engineering etc.It's a three year course, about 30 subjects..
    3. The short course i.e. 3 month courses are also not a bad idea. The problem is that you pretty much late for registration for a Degree or National diploma for this semester 1 , Jan- June. Generally registration for semester 2 opens in June, but since you will be applying for the first time, visit the tertiary institution’s website and establish which course in terms of registration dates, application dates, lecture periods will be most suitable for you.

I have every confidence in you!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Email problem
    Thanks
    Study never goes waste and hence if you are working at present consider your post and what is higher to it and then choose. As you are thinking to do management studies then go for degree course rather than diploma as these skills will be required at your work place.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AudreyBieber View Post
    Study never goes waste and hence if you are working at present consider your post and what is higher to it and then choose. As you are thinking to do management studies then go for degree course rather than diploma as these skills will be required at your work place.
    Welcome to TFSA, Audrey.

You are so right. I often hear people aspiring to become a manager or some higher position, but then do nothing to get there. If you want to become a manager, one must act like a manager. Take responsibility, acquire the skills and most important; study what is required for the job.

Learning never stops. The schooling or diploma/degree you did 10 or 20 years ago is almost irrelevant due to changing technologies and new types of jobs being created. There are however, some basics that stay the same. As in maths, the formulas never change, but the method or execution may be improved.

I have found that the higher the eduction the more curious people become. They will then acquire even more learning and skills to keep them ahead of the pack.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...