Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gekkos

Thanks

Gekkos

Hi all

Can anyone advise on how best to rid my house of Gekkos.
    I actually like the little devils but they leave such a mess with
    their crap.
    I know they are good for the unwanted pests like mossie etc, but
    we are fed up of cleaning after them and not sure what disease
    their crap can bring into the home.

Any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Best regards Rozzer

Thanks
    Geez how many of the things do you have in your house. We get the odd few outside usually in the pool control box or hiding in amongst the braai wood but not very many. I suspect our cat eats them or sometimes just dismantles them into smaller pieces, maybe borrowing a cat and giving it minimal food would work for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe they're far more prevalent in KZN compared to the Western Cape, at least when it comes to the species that comes indoors.

Our indigenous varieties don't come indoors - the problem ones are actually exotics, orginally from Mauritius I believe.

As far as I know there are no registered "agricultural remedies" (pesticides) in SA for the control of geckos, making the application of any chemical product to eliminate or control them illegal. Of course they're killed along with everything else when houses are fumigated for woodborers or drywood termites, but you'd have to be pretty desperate to go to that sort of expense and trouble just for geckos. And you'd be seeing new ones coming in within a few months after.

The one thing that might help is to reduce harbourage areas. They're very territorial, so the less places available to hole up during the day, the lower the population.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Dave. Do they do any actual harm or pose any health risks. Maybe the cat thing wasn't such a bad idea......

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Geckos, like many reptiles, may carry the salmonella bacteria in their intestines, which then is carried into their feces.
    When the gecko defecates, the animal may step into the feces and carry minute traces on its feet.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanks you guys for that info.

Firstly let me get the name right lol, Gecko's.
    I agree that to fumigate is just not a feasible option as i also think they will return quite quickly
    The solution will be an on going thing but i don't want to kill them unnecessarily, i have tried the usual
    sprays but that's also only a temporary solution. Cats is out too as i live on a Complex with a no cats policy
    I am going to have to look at the A/C units as it seems that's one of the entry points and other than
    that i don't know, as i can't keep the windows close indefinitely.
    Thanks for the Info on Salmonella, will have to be more cautious in the future when i let my wife clean up LOL

Just for info, we have lots of Lizards which prefer to stay outside and they are not an issue but the Gecko's love the indoors

Thanks again

Best regards Rozzer

Thanks
    You need to invest in a few red lipped herald's to keep the population of geckos down, just put them in the places the geckos like to hide and as soon as they finish eating the geckos they will start looking at naughty children! ')
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I personally like them. But hey if they are a problem then start with what they eat. Bugs... Get rid of the bugs and they will not have food thus they will go where there food is plentiful. Secondly if you have mice then chances are they are eating the young so get rid of of the mice.

Get some Mothballs crush them up into a powder "use correct PPE gloves mask and eye protection" and place the powder where they hide/live. They hate the smell and will move on. "make sure that pets, children and druggies can't get to the white powder"

Have a look as to how they enter the home. and try to keep them out. As soon as there is no food source and there hiding spots can't be used anymore they will move away.

Lastly use strong smelling cleaning chemicals for the outside brickwork walls. They hate that sort of stuff and if they can’t be lazy in the sun then normally they will go away.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Get some Mothballs crush them up into a powder "use correct PPE gloves mask and eye protection" and place the powder where they hide/live. They hate the smell and will move on. "make sure that pets, children and druggies can't get to the white powder"
    I also hate the smell of mothballs, so it won't work in our household. What about a product called Gecko GO? (never tried it myself).
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

10. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (18-Jan-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    What about a product called Gecko GO? (never tried it myself).
    I've just had a rep call on me this morning and noticed this on their product list. It's a repellant and I'll be testing it just as soon as they get me a sample.

12. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (18-Jan-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.