Thread: Garage card fraud

Silver Member
    Thanks

Garage card fraud

I just discovered that a company garage card was used at 3 garages arounf Lenasia area on 3 different days..04th, 10th and 11th Jan13
    The strange thing on all this transactions is that the vehicle never visited the sites, it was not in the areas where the transations took place
    Tracking device clearly proves that the vehicle was in differenct areas, over 200km when the transactions were done, and in one transction 500km
    Driver insist he had card with him all the time, and he still has it even now. And states he know those are not company approved filling statations, so he would not have used them at all
    The bank confirmed that the card was swiped, transactions not manually done by punching numbers on system

What recourse do I have here?
    both bank and garage are not really interested, all garages claim not to have camera footages

Silver Member
    Thanks
    1) put a STOP on that card NOW (similar to being stolen). you can request another.
    2) Request garage slips where registration details of vehicles is recorded
    3) request data from tracking company showing the vehicle with that registration number was at the time it was supposedly being filled at the 3 venues

I would guess that this should be sufficient to get your bank to return the debits. Alternatively am hoping that there is a garage owner on the forum that may be of more help

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like your card might have been skimmed, but don't ignore other possibilities.

Not so long ago I had a similar experience, albeit with slightly different parameters.

What was clear from the vehicle tracking records was that the petrol card was being used to draw petrol when the vehicle to which it was assigned was not there. In this instance it turned out it was the driver filling up his wife's car.

In any event, I agree with Flaker, treat the card as stolen and stop it now.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, stop put on card and awaiting feedback from bank regarding the slips
    Bank already requested from the garage when i quiried the transactions on friday, hopefully I get them today
    Dave, I think just like in your case, there might be internal involvement, will see

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Dave, how did you go about the investigation thereof?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    About 6 years ago, while I was employed I had a wesbank fleet card for my car!

A second transaction was made at a garage that I filled at for exactly R200 on the same day which I never made!

I raised the item with our fleet department! They contacted Wesbank directly and Wesbank contacted the Garage requesting the slips\voucher as they call it!

The owner of the garage reversed the transaction with no questions asked!

As far as I know this is the procedure, I have a credit card machine at one of my businesses and every now and then when someone has a query the bank contacts me for the slips\vouchers for verification! If I cannot provide them by a certain date the transactions are automatically reversed!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS100 View Post
    Dave, how did you go about the investigation thereof?
    We've got tracking on our fleet, so proving the vehicle wasn't there at the fills was easy stuff. Given that the driver had signed the slips, it was clear he was present at the fill though.

The trick is not to bluntly present the evidence, but start off by asking innocent questions to give the employee the chance to hang themself.

In this case the morning after a fill where the vehicle wasn't present, I mentioned in passing that I was surprised the driver had to fill again so soon. He said there'd been more running around than usual. We then both had a look at his tracking info together and one thing led to another...

The fact that the company's vehicle was parked at his residence on every occassion pretty much sealed the deal.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Dave
    I just good good news, the bank's forensic investigation (big blue) took up the matter. They checked my tracking and it proved truck was never at the 3 filling sites, and in one case the driver swapped at toll gate the time the filling up was done
    So, they wanted affidavit from the driver and company that we did not authorised transactions
    And BOOM! I got a call about 3pm, they have a suspect and taking matter to SAPS for arrest

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-Jan-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries