Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ban advertising

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Ban advertising

Clearly this is the solution to drinking and driving, i suppose in africa it would be, someone else to point a finger at, because our traffic department hasnt got a solution to the crisis, what crissis only 1300 + people died on the road, while traffic officers sat idle at literally every offramp from Durban to JHB. Cameras raking in millions from speeding but not slowing people down, reducing the death rater i dont think so, i suppose somebody must pay for them to sleep on the side of the freeways, or do their shopping at the local supermarket (something i have noticed happening more and more), i suppose they do need a lunch break.

Maybe they should send some of the employed officers on 4 km runs every now and again.

If drinking is to blame for the high death rate on the roads, why were there not more booze busses on the road?

Why do the traffic officers not drive with the traffic and monitor driving behaviour, instead of making money fining people for not wearing seat belt, of course thats cause huge accidents.

Maybe if some of the tolls fees were spent on what it is suppose to be used for like road repairs and traffic control , the death toll might reduce.

Maybe if a little money was spent fixing the roads, it would reduce, accidents.

Banning alcohol adverts, which dumba$$ actually came up with this ridiculoaus suggestion?

Why dont they ban coke because it makes you fat and could bring on a hearth attack which might kill you while driving.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Ah you see it is because the government believes that farm workers get drunk on cheap box wine and slinger across the road at 3am because they saw an advertisment for Johnny Walker on TV 2 nights ago. This is called K-Logic, the same logic that says that it is perfectly ok for the big bannana to do some minor alterations to his kraal for R230million.

Thanks
    I believe that for every accident where there is a death the mangled car should remain just off the road with the correct number of dummies covered in red splashes of paint to remind people that this is where people died as a result of bad or negligent driving.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    I believe that for every accident where there is a death the mangled car should remain just off the road with the correct number of dummies covered in red splashes of paint to remind people that this is where people died as a result of bad or negligent driving.
    Would there be enough side of the road to keep all the wrecks in display?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Eeeeish hows the R8 smash in the newspaper, broken into 3 pieces, must have been one of the lugs racing cars, with one fella driving and all. I wonder if it wasnt also an attorney, who managed to kill a cop this time instead of a family.

This story just doesnt sound right, policemen searching vehicle, 1 dead while being "chased" by a van, yeah right.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/...ake-on-boozing

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nothing will change by banning advertising. Bad drivers with bad attitudes should be banned. (and bad law enforcement).

We need a total overhaul of the driver training and licencing system. Learner drivers never go beyond 60 kph and so never learn to drive on the open road where the speed limit is 120. The authorities and driving schools concentrate too much on parking and regulations and too little on driving skills. The objective is to obtain a licence, not to train a driver.

I would propose a system where a minimum number of hours has to be spent on driving skills. Maybe a driving simulator can be used to imitate dangerous situations and accidents so that drivers know what to do in emergencies. Yes, it is costly, but not more than a life.

Some basics: Sun down - lights ON
    Rain & mist - lights ON
    Keep LEFT - pass right
    Keep a safe distance
    NO risky passing on white lines, blind rises etc
    Give way to drivers entering the free-way and do not stop on the off ramp when you join the free-way. Always be courteous and never lose your temper (I know it is hard!)
    Keep BOTH hands on the wheel and not on your cell phone or dangling out the window.
    DON'T drink and drive!
    Donate blood - you never know when you may need it...
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    From the attached article
    Of the 3944 motorists arrested during the festive season, 2 856 were found to have been drinking and driving.
    Duh, would it not stand to reason that if you put up a road block, the most likeliest arrest is for driving under the influence, you do not get arrested for an un roadworthy vehicle.

The cause of the accidents is more due to the simple basics as mentioned by Blurock
    Sun down - lights ON
    Rain & mist - lights ON
    Keep LEFT - pass right
    Keep a safe distance
    NO risky passing on white lines, blind rises etc
    Give way to drivers entering the free-way and do not stop on the off ramp when you join the free-way. Always be courteous and never lose your temper (I know it is hard!)
    Keep BOTH hands on the wheel and not on your cell phone or dangling out the window.
    DON'T drink and drive!
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Driving schools may be part of the problem. Any Dick Tom and Harry can become a driving instructor. They almost "guarantee" you a licence, not the ability to drive a car and to understand the responsibility that goes with it.

I never went to a driving school and obviously learnt all the bad habits of trying to beat my best time every time I hit the road. Fortunately I was never involved in an accident. (I have matured since and am now driving an "old man's car.")

Driving schools should be upgraded to become driving academies. Students should learn all about basic car care (even changing a wheel) and everything that goes with car ownership and responsibility. When caught for a traffic offence, depending on the seriousness and nature, part of the sentence should be to go back to driving school to be rehabilitated as a responsible driver.

An offence involving injuries to other people should also include community service in a morgue or the emergency ward of a hospital. Speed does not kill - stupidity does.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets take it from a different angle, lets say that most road users have licenses and know the rules of the road. The question is then why do they break the rules, what are the underlying reasons?

1. Alcohol.
    2. Impatience.
    3. Disregard for the law.
    4. Disregard for the rights and safety of others.
    5. General South Africa FU attitude.

Seems like we are now talking about society in general, maybe that is where we should start. It doesn't help to let kids run around all day doing whatever they want and then get upset when they can't stand quietly in the lunch queue waiting their turn to get a lollipop!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I believe for as little as R1000 cod payments gets you a license when handed to the test inspector if you go to the right place for the test, these people must be making a small fortune.

Lets say 10 tests per day thats R10 000 per day x by 20 days, eeeish a measly R200 000 tax free plus a salary, what we call money for jam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast