Thread: Ethekwini pre paid metering

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Ethekwini pre paid metering

When you contact the durban electricity department and indicate there was a dip or surge in power they send out bunch of "electricians" with duspol testers, and when you ask what they found, the reply is always the same, there is 400/230 on the line, and off they go, real proffessional for such a big organisation., i wont even start with the faults and service.

The best one recently, pre paid meters, they make up a new law that owners are now liable for electricty accounts, so the owners apply for pre paid meters, oooops 6 months waiting list and the account must be settled by the owner before they will even consider accepting the application, so be warned if you account is not up to date the day the application is due for consideration, make sure your account is up to date otherwise you have to reapply and wait 6 months again. I just learnt this the hard way, doing it for one of my customers. The payment was 1 week late, it set the whole prccess 6 months back again. Dont say you havent been warned

Thats not all, they will not contact you to tell you your account is in the arrears, you will have to contact them every day to make sure there is not a problem. they told me it is my responsiblity to follow up eeeiiish anyone who has tried to deal with ethikweni electricity department will know what i am talking about and why the headbanger.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When this new bylaw came up that only the property owner could open an electricity account on a residential property, the problem I could see coming was in a property transfer situation where the new owner took occupation before the ownership of the property transfered.

Well, my concern has become a reality. I'm currently trying to assist my mother-in-law in arrangements for the new place she's bought. Moving day is this weekend, transfer is still weeks away, the previous tenant has moved out and terminated their electricity account (the electricity is off), and Ethekwini has steadfastly refused to transfer the electricity account for the new place onto her existing account and reconnect.

Ultimately, they refuse to accept a letter from the transferring attorney that they're attending to the transfer, they insist it must state the the transfer has already been lodged as minimum, and that it actually should be a letter to confirm that the transfer has been completed.

Some points to note in this farce:
    All acounts (both the previous occupant's and my mother-in law's) are totally paid up to date.
    My mother-in-law's account with the municipality is 48 years old.
    It has always been paid on time.
    The deposit on the account is still R8 (deposits are only increased if you miss a deadline - she never has in 48 years).
    Supply termination for the place she's sold and moving out of is set down for 15th January.

Here are the consequences on the face of it:
    She will be moving into her new house without the electricity being connected.
    She will not be able to have the electricity connected for weeks.
    Because there is no active billing on her account with the municipality after the 15th, her deposit will be refunded and the account closed.
    When she eventually qualifies for an electrical supply, she will have to open a new account.
    I expect the deposit that will be expected of her will run to R thousands.

Well done elected counsellors of Ethekwini - I take it this is what you wanted and voted for

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Dave, one thing to rememeber is if the account is not in her name i wonder if she could be charged for reconnecting the power without permission how would they know it was her if the transfer has not taken place.

I am waiting for them to disconnect my electricity, because i cant afford to pay them R7700 today, my stupidity i should have given them a lower reading when they requested the reading and sent the actual for next months account, lesson learnt, i will have to do what i need to to make sure my fridge doesnt go off, especially, my wife spent a lot of her bonus last year to put food in the deep freeze. Its not that i am refusing to pay, i just need a couple of days to come up with that amount. They are ruthless when it comes to disconnecting your power, the joke i have applied for a pre paid meter but they refuse to even accept the documentation until my i am up todate with my account. You would think they would install a prepaid meter without blinking considering i am such a bad paying customer.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Problem solved!

Up until now we've been trying to do this change at the Florence Mkhize Building (the Treasury building opposite the City Hall) and it's just been a brick wall.

So as it's on the way back out of town for me, I tried at the Electricity Department's Customer Service Centre at Kingsmead. All done and dusted without so much as a raised eyebrow.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The one by the station?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    By Durban train station, yes.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You got lucky, they put up screens, to prevent people from strangling or physically abusing the staff behind the counter out of frustration, having to deal with them, i am lucky (better off than some) not having to sit in the que which is sometimes out the door, and as for the parking, well thats a topic for another day.