Thread: Insight into the new year

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Insight into the new year

Some things i need to remember and make a mental note of this year,

People dont want you to tell them how bad their installations are, they just want you to fix what they asked you to, and not make a big thing of the rest of the kak workmanship on their property.

Dont waste money on expensive equipment, buy cheap and use software to make it look pretty, people dont care if you use a R10 000 piece of equipment or R100 000 equipement, so long as the result is the same.

Beware of other contractors on site even if they are not in the same line as you, before you know it they will be including the same services at cheaper price.

Dont show people how easy your work is, they might just go out and buy all the equipment and do it themselves

Do as the african do in africa, otherwise you will be standing at the gate wondering why you are the only contractor not working on the site anymore or why you cant get onto the site.

Get involved in social groups, networks and sports activities, bussiness will prosper.

Kiss butt as much as you can it will get you work you didnt think you could get, and even work you werent expecting.

No matter how good you are at what you do, make sure you know how to deal with people, read people and understand what they are looking for.

The phrase it has worked for years why do we have to change it now, remember that, dont try change things which work, until the electrical industry has some form of policing in place, go with the flow.

Learn to impress people with the right price and not the best workmanship, quality is like manners something only used by the old people.

Watch the profit margin, and stop worrying about the condition of the tools on site, buy cheap you will not change the way people treat your equipment, until they start paying for it themselves.

Most important, dont trust anyone.

Lets hope i can stick to them...
    Last edited by ians; 02-Jan-13 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...and in the middle of all that, still try to have some humanity otherwise it all becomes pretty joyless.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My first day back at work on Wednesday, i visited a site where i "had" a yearly contract, popped in to measure up some stuff for a project i am busy with, it so happened that i ran into not one, but a number of contractors working on the site doing pretty much what i normally do, i had to chuckle when i noted the face expression. Thank goodness i am so busy that i am still turning away work, but thats not the point. Just got to be very carefull as i walk with the dagger in my back, those lean days will come again and i need to make sure i am prepared.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Dont show people how easy your work is, they might just go out and buy all the equipment and do it themselves
    Always remember, you don't get paid for what you do, you get paid for what you know. To be more succinct; you get paid for what it took to know what you know.