Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Earth leakage trip 7 min past the hour every hour

Thanks
    My one plug circuit kept tripping so we started eliminating along the circuit, needless to say the last wall plug we had to test was the faulty one, it was at the back of the upstairs lounge and was never used.

Guess what caused the problem?

A gecko had climbed behind the cover and was electrocuted between the live and the body of the plug.
    so my guess is that you have a gecko with a punctuality problem/obsession
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    so my guess is that you have a gecko with a punctuality problem/obsession
    hehe, very likely!
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    what make of e/leakage unit did you install (new) and what make is the old unit?
    All CBI. Everything is calm now. Will see tonight...
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have been having lots of issues with the new CBI earth leakage units, some of the older units i have on sites are still working yet some of the newer units have already been replaced and they are not even 5 years old. I dont install CBI units anymore, i rather use an adptor plate and change to one of the chinese brands like chint, i am yet to replace a chint unit.In the past i was very anti these cheaper units but since i have been having problem with the CBI units, i dont even think twice to replace the CBI units

The same problem you are talking about on this trhead we had a couple of months ago, i eventually got a second opinion from another, unfortunately he just removed evertything from the earth leakage unit, other than the plug circuits ans it seems to be working now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    .....he just removed evertything from the earth leakage unit, other than the plug circuits ans it seems to be working now.
    So he didn't actually look for or localise and repair the poor insulation fault....... plus by taking circuits off the RCD he left the installation less safe than when he arrived.

Some people make me sick to my stomach, I hope he doesn't call himself an electrician and I hope I never see someone doing something similar on one of my sites.
    Last edited by AndyD; 07-Jan-13 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    I am wondering whether the insulation was even tested. Had he done it I am certain he would have mentioned the results.

Thanks
    I'm a bit late to join in, but I've had the problem where ants had made a nest in a disused, waterproof plug next to my braai. Even after this plug was disconnected (at the breaker in the DB) I was still getting intermittant trips on the ELCB, this was untill I remembered to disconnect the nuetral also.

Point here is that ant colonies are very "time controlled" and they keep a better schedule than any electronic device. I.E. an ant colony (nest) may be dormant during the heat of the day, but as the sun goes down they start activities such as forageing, digging, hunting, etc. and they keep a darn good schedule, maybe you have a colony that has migrated somewhere in the walls, and if you have one colony, chances are there is another somewhere else?

However, like most others, I'm also inclined to look at some timer device that switches on at a specified time. Another thing that might be missed is a faulty capacitor in some appliance or in the DB itself (surge/lightening protection)? Just my 2c.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I had done a full inspection report on the outbuilding which included a insulation resistance test, There were a few small issues but they were over 1 meg, i didnt want to take any chances, before i contacted the person for a second opinion, hence the reason i have no faith in the new CBI earth leakeage units.

The problem only started when i took the unit out from the outbuilding and used it in the house because the house e/l unit was tripping after hours. I then replaced the outbuilding unit with a new CBI e/l unit and thats when all the problems started.

I have replace more CBI e/l units with a 2006 stamp than any other units, including older units.

I have stopped using CBI products completely, not only because the customer can buy the product straight from makro, builders etc, but also because of the price, If the product was still reliable then i wouldnt mind paying extra, but like clipsal dimmers i cant keep returning to replace their faulty units, somebody has to pay

Thanks
    Are you doing a ramp test and a trip time test on both half cycles on the RCD before you replace them?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    No, only on one occassion mentioned in the other thread, have i had a problem where the e/l unit kept tripping once replaced. I just didnt have time to trace an intermitant fault, i do believe however that the problem was down at the gate, where there are lights, a plug and a gate motor. The second opinion fella decided to strip and disconnect, it was out of my hands.

The problem with tracing faults, it can take days, trying to get people to pay for this time has proved to be quite a challenge, especially once the fault is found and repaired, the customer cant understand why it takes you so long to dig holes and follow cable routes, break walls open because some tosser tapes up a joint and plasters it directly into the wall, bury flat twin +e in a kitchen, then the cupboards are fitted and they drill through the wire, but it doesnt trip straight away because it just cuts the insulation, etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234