Thread: confused

Email problem
    Thanks

confused

Hi all
    I really need some help here.
    So here is the thing I'm working at this company now for 10 months ,permanent.
    I have been given warning and final warning for starting work later then I'm scheduled to.
    I have not realized how serious this was until my supervisor called me in a meeting and told me that
    I now have to go to a disciplinary hearing which will take place in the week.
    My supervisor has advised me to rather resign as it would be best for me , because everyone that he knows that has gone to a disciplinary hearing ,got dismissed ,and he did not want that to happen to me.
    I know i have not been very good i had allot of problems with this public transport, which is no excuse but to dismiss some-one for something so petty.

Any-one with there advice is welcome
    Blogy

Thanks
    I'm not sure off hand where you legally stand, it would depend on several things. If you've had several written warnings for being late then there's a good chance they my have the right to dismiss you for further similar offences. How many warnings exactly have you had previously for being late? How many of these warnings were written warnings. Over what time frame were these warnngs were given?

If the warnings were over a long period then maybe they're unhappy with other aspects of your performance and they're using them to get you out of the door. I have staff that have also had transport problems resulting in them being late on various occasions. They've always made the effort to contact someone and inform the office in advance and they've made up the missing time volantarily themselves so we've never persued them through the warning system because it's a minor invonvenience to the company and the staff are diligent and very capable workers therefore valuable assets.

Thanks
    Blogy, First off, your description and attitude about the "offence" is probably what has got you in hot water. As a manager myself, I do not regard being late as a petty offence. Especially since you have been late on numerous occasions. When you decided to accept your companys' offer of employment, you must have agreed to certain terms and conditions. In these times you most certainly would have a letter of appointment which clearly stated these t & c's one of which would have been your hours of work. Based on your acceptance of these t & c's, the company employed you in good faith. The company is basically not concerned with your problems of transport just as you would not be concerned if their customers paid them late and because of this you got paid late (and later and later every month). So whilst they have been tolerant of your tardiness, they have every right to discipline you so long as it is procedurally and substantively fair.
    Secondly, for your supervisor advising you to resign instead of being dismissed must mean that he does not want to involve himself in the confidential policies of the company but obviously knows that the company is not playing games insofar as labour matters are concerned and has seen the result when other staff members have not adhered to their conditions of employment.
    My advice to you would be to get a solution to your transport problems BEFORE you go to the hearing. At the hearing, listen to what they have to say. Accept what they say (in all probability they will have dates and times of your late-coming and other information to support their charges). Don't argue with anyone at the hearing. Acknowledge what you have done and show remorse. Tell them that you have found a solution to your transport problem and give a firm commitment to adhering to the correct starting times. Maybe if they can see you are genuine, they will be compassionate and you can save your job.
    Finally, stop playing the victim - "I'm confused" What the heck are you confused about? You were late. Several times. You were warned. Several times. I hope you are now un-confused. I wish you well in your endeavour to secure your employment.

4. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (16-Dec-12), Blurock (16-Dec-12), Citizen X (16-Dec-12), Dave A (16-Dec-12), flaker (16-Dec-12)

Thanks
    @Diditmiself - Well said. This is what it is about, there is after all a business to run! Sounds like you have the t-shirt.
    In the interest of the business a tough unemotional stance must be taken, and the company's workplace rules must be enforced when misconduct occurs.

Every employee has their personal issues, and what may seem insignificant to one person, is a major issue to another, and all cannot be accommodated. Trust me on that one!

Inconsistency is the cause of huge issues in many organisations because they have bent the rules and "been lenient", or "compassionate" etc. In the end, it bites them on the delicacies, because once the door has been opened, it will be expected in every subsequent disciplinary matter, and if the same leniency is not shown, the matter will probably go to the CCMA. The employer will most probably lose the case as the inconsistent application of the rule will probably be tabled for the commissioner to consider. (Perhaps even by the same employee to whom the leniency and compassion was previously shown!)

@blogy - The warnings you received were to afford you the opportunity to correct your behaviour.
    You did not rise to the occasion. Too bad. Hope your confusion has passed and that you find a new job soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Blogy - purely from a "in your best interests" point of view - if you can get another job quickly and you're already on a final written warning, it might be an idea to resign - otherwise take the dismissal (at least then you'll be able to claim UIF).

Moving onto the broader issues your post raise, I agree with the responses above - timekeeping is much more important an issue than many employees realise.

In my business as example, very few employees operate in isolation. When an employee is late, it's not just their own contribution that is affected, it's the production of the entire team they work with. This impacts on production, the customer's experience of the company, and ultimately the future of the entire company and everyone who depends on it.

Yes, things go wrong, and one has to make allowances. But when anything happens often, a plan must be made to deal with it. So what have you done to help fix the problem? What contingency plans have you put in place?

Or do you expect the company and your fellow employees to accomodate you while you do nothing to solve a problem that is ultimately your responsibility to fix?

I hope you take the lessons of this experience to heart and make the changes needed to prevent it being a problem again. Even if it proves to be too late to rescue this particular job, it will stand you in good stead for the future.

7. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (16-Dec-12)

Thanks
    I think this is really your mistake as you have not done your work properly and efficiently. I think you have to talk about this to your boss and try to console him that in future you will do your work properly. And try to win the heart of your boss with your good work.

Thanks
    Employer Labour Relations, I think you've replied to this post a bit late. Firstly, if she's still there, then she obviously did the right thing and they've decided to keep her. If not, she's gone like last months' pay. Hope she's learned a lesson from this experience - especially the fact that employers generally don't regard being late as 'petty'.