Some time ago we had actions and petitions against cellphone companies for the way they were ripping off the public, their customers. In spite of many promises and the Regulator stepping in, I am afraid we are now paying even more than before. They have given an inch, but have taken a back three.

I am now due for an upgrade, but I am not convinced that I should continue with the same service provider. Unfortunately the the alternatives are not very promising as the service of one of the competitors really sucks and the other has been sued for fraud in a number of other countries.

The bullshit advertising with Smart Light, off peak (who uses a phone in the middle of the night?) Prepaid and other combinations is laughable and just confirms how gullible the public is.

Maybe I should just can my cell phone and go back to the old trusted land line. I do not need to see e-mails on my cell phone, that can wait until I'm at the office and my e-mails can be retrieved via 3G on my laptop when I'm travelling. I don't respond to SMS's, so there. Please leave a message with my secretary when I'm out. I'll return your call when I'm back in the office.