Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too many cables in conduit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    I think that the electrician who my customer has now called in will pull those cables out and put them in a big junction box above the ceiling and double up the circuits which I think will be have a more detrimental effect than leaving the cables in the conduit now.
    I suggested this because you said the circuits were not loaded. How will this be detrimental with minimal loads?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    So it bothered me a while that the client didn't pay...

Also after being here for pretty much 10 years I have one conclusion to Adrianh's responce's - He is a Dick Head.

My installations are a work of art compared to most of the shit I see and done to the letter of SANS 10142

I asked a reasonable question and explained my reasoning behind it. If the cables were singles there would not be a problem.

I have been back in the house quite recently and had the pleasure of seeing not a thing had been changed and the client had been charged R22000 for.... well doing nothing other than issuing the COC on my work. I may have been knocked for R12000 but she was completely screwed by the other electrician for R22000 for redoing.... Nothing.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    All the cables are flat twin and earth? (was mentioned in the first post)

The bottom line, there is no way on this earth that you could have too many cables in the conduit if you are pulling twin+E down into the conduit.

You can only chuckle at some of the comments.

Honestly i would rather have an experienced tradesman working in my house than a person who can read rules and regs and copy and paste data from the world wide web.

Life is all dandy on paper, some of these design engineers/rule makers should try work in the field before putting in writting.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So it bothered me a while that the client didn't pay...

Also after being here for pretty much 10 years I have one conclusion to Adrianh's responce's - He is a Dick Head.

My installations are a work of art compared to most of the shit I see and done to the letter of SANS 10142

I asked a reasonable question and explained my reasoning behind it. If the cables were singles there would not be a problem.

I have been back in the house quite recently and had the pleasure of seeing not a thing had been changed and the client had been charged R22000 for.... well doing nothing other than issuing the COC on my work. I may have been knocked for R12000 but she was completely screwed by the other electrician for R22000 for redoing.... Nothing.
    By the way...i do recall back in the day when i use to read the sans book...you could fit i believe it was 7or 9 wires in a 20 mm conduit. I recall having to use sunlight dishwashing liquid to try squeeze all the wires from point A to B into the conduit.

Dont let comments on social media get to you. Everyone is master in the every industry on social media.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    By the way...i do recall back in the day when i use to read the sans book...you could fit i believe it was 7or 9 wires in a 20 mm conduit. I recall having to use sunlight dishwashing liquid to try squeeze all the wires from point A to B into the conduit.

Dont let comments on social media get to you. Everyone is master in the every industry on social media.
    I once saw an electrician stripping off the white insulation of the Twin-E cable to pull them through counduit. Is that a good practice?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmaelmo View Post
    I once saw an electrician stripping off the white insulation of the Twin-E cable to pull them through counduit. Is that a good practice?
    like all comments on social media...not know the exact circumstances...it is difficult to judge.

what i can tell you from my own experience, i do it all the time...especially when trying to get a wire from the roof space into the DB via an existing conduit (because the chop who installed the DB didnt install spare pipes ) I fit a box in the roof space, pulled the wires up form the DB into the roof space...then pull all the wires together back down to the DB. There is nothing wrong provided it is done using a junction box.

What i do see a lot, people pull the pipe apart and push the twin+e down the pipe with the house wire and leave exposed wiring at the entry point what makes it even a bigger problem, when the steel pipe is used as the earth conductor (old houses)

another thing i see a lot is people connecting wires in the old metal 3 way Tee...normally the connectors dont fit into the Tee so the joint is left exposed.

It the wild south out there...it is easy to put rules and regs on paper...getting people to actually do it...somebody should send a memo out to their staff.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post

Honestly i would rather have an experienced tradesman working in my house than a person who can read rules and regs and copy and paste data from the world wide web.

An experienced tradesman knows the reason for space factors in conduit in for the dissipation of heat in the cables (grouping) when loaded. The cables were not even close to loaded. Thats why I asked the question originally, seeing as I had seen plenty of conduits full to bursting capacity in my first few weeks here.

It used to be that in the UK you didn't need to apply grouping factor to cable calcs if they were carrying, I think 30%, of there load. Not sure if that's still the case. I get an onslaught from Adrianh's for asking something like that. Guessing he's not on the tools to see what most of us see everyday. He'd kak his pants.

One thing I know after 10 years of being here - you report anything dangerous, rough, dodgy, crap - Ain't no one done shit about any of it. No one gives a shit.
    It's only some peoples pride in work that keeps standards up and there sure as shit ain't a lot of people who still take pride in their work.

I can still enjoy the fact the client paid of R22000 for... nothing. I see her occasionally. She is a piece of shit but since that day I avoid domestics. Waste of time.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    An experienced tradesman knows the reason for space factors in conduit in for the dissipation of heat in the cables (grouping) when loaded. The cables were not even close to loaded. Thats why I asked the question originally, seeing as I had seen plenty of conduits full to bursting capacity in my first few weeks here.

It used to be that in the UK you didn't need to apply grouping factor to cable calcs if they were carrying, I think 30%, of there load. Not sure if that's still the case. I get an onslaught from Adrianh's for asking something like that. Guessing he's not on the tools to see what most of us see everyday. He'd kak his pants.

One thing I know after 10 years of being here - you report anything dangerous, rough, dodgy, crap - Ain't no one done shit about any of it. No one gives a shit.
    It's only some peoples pride in work that keeps standards up and there sure as shit ain't a lot of people who still take pride in their work.

I can still enjoy the fact the client paid of R22000 for... nothing. I see her occasionally. She is a piece of shit but since that day I avoid domestics. Waste of time.
    just a note...i am not here to point fingers at anyone...i think it is great that people share their thoughts...suitably qualified...experience or not...right or wrong...i have learnt on social media not to pick out or point fingers at any individual...it is not my place to judge anyone until i have walked in their shoes...merely give my point of view (which might be wrong at times)

The electrical industry in this country is doomed unless we (the old school lads) step down and start sharing our knowledge and experience with the new up and coming lads...it is not a competition or a race to the end...it a journey we all need to share and grow....until we get that right...there is not much hope...i hear it everyday in the wholesalers....people complaining about other contractors bad workmanship...we should get together and discuss ways to heal the industry instead.

The ECA is another place for whining contractors...then you go out and see the whiners workmanship and just shake your head.

The rates discussion is another whole thread on its own...you pay peanuts you get sheep doing the work.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I agree that we need to share knowledge and thereby try and uplift the quality of workmanship.
    My feeling is that you can only change things from within and not from the outside.

I chose to get involved within the ECA and try and see if I can make things work the way I would like to see them work.
    I chose to try and get involved with the training and advice side and hopefully get to see contractors follow the advice given.
    If can help one contractor to stand stronger on his own feet then I feel that I have won a little Battle , and hopefully eventually win the War

The more ECA members that try win little battles the more chance we have of winning the war

You talk of a place for contractors to get together and discuss ways to heal the industry - The place is there , ECA , we just need more involvement from the experienced contractors to share their knowledge.

Thanks
    With SETA dishing out accreditation to incompetents at the rate they do, good luck with your mission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast