Good afternoon,

I am sure everyone is busy enough with submitting IT12's, but I had to ask.

We receive a letter from SAICA every month, and this is what they had to say last month:

VAT 201 RETURNS – “BUSINESS AS USUAL”

Following the implementation of the new Tax Administration Act (TAA) on 1 October, there was widespread concern that VAT 201 returns submitted via eFiling could no longer be submitted on the last business day of the applicable month as was previously the case. The fear was that returns would in future have to be lodged on or before the 25th of each month, and panic set in when many taxpayers were told only on 19 October that the change would be effective immediately, i.e. that returns due in October would have to be lodged by 25 October.

Fortunately SARS announced at the last minute that, pending an amendment to the TAA, it will continue to accept returns and payments “submitted via eFiling (or EFT) on or before the last business day of the month.”

So relax, it’s “business as usual” with your VAT 201s. Remember that manual returns still have to be in by the last business day prior to the 25th of each month.

I have spoken to some SAIPA members as well, and it seems as if they got the same message more or less.

Has anything happened in the meantime?