Thread: New market highs

Silver Member
    Thanks

New market highs

JSE reached new record high levels today, but what puzzles me is how does this happen in these tough economic times and a weak rand, despite that there's still lots of foreign investors investing here. Of course the issue here is behavioural investing but somehow there seems to be so much confidence. What are your thoughts on that?
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A weaker Rand is good for exporters. When you unravel all the incestuous relationships, its impact is deeper than it may seem at first blush.

The confidence is probably because it's not our economy that's tanking - it's the Eurozone jitters that has everyone a bit edgy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A weak Rand for exporters only has value if a large portion of the exported product is sourced locally, so for mining this is good, however if you are a manufacturer, and you are reliant on imported raw material, the timing of the payment of imported raw material versus the payment of exporting finished goods, plays a huge role in the profit you make in Rands. Off course it does depend on how long it takes you to convert raw material into finished product. It all depends on which side of the curve of a weakening Rand against a strengthening of the Rand you happen to be. I have a feeling that we are in for a long ride of a weakening of the Rand. There is just too much uncertainty at the moment, and the wild cat strikes are doing no favours to the Rand value.

I have experienced both sides of the pendulum. It is extremely difficult to predict, and in most instances, you profit margins are compromised.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I remember when you got 2$US to the Rand, that would have been the time to import.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Silver Member
    Thanks
    As Justloadit said the exports need to increase drasticly in order formexporters to make money or for that to be good for the economy, but if demand doesn't change then exporters will make extra profit on the usual amount of items they sell. And yes a lot of manifacturing companies export raw materials to countries like China and then import it back in because it works out cheaper for them and of course weaker rand can't do good for that.
    The eurozone is straggling big time so I'd imagine a lot of investors will invest in developing Africa. Either way it seems to me that something doesn't add up.
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---