Thread: Appy or time served

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Appy or time served

If you were going to train a person in the new South Africa, would you go the appy route or elecnop route?

Which route would benefit my bussiness and which would get me the best returns from the skills development programs etc, if any?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Damn nightmare trying to get anything out of the skills development program.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I suppose it would be better to go the appy route but for me I would rather get someone that can do the job straight off.Much easier and less hassle.Saying that I have taken on and intern has needs experience and Seta will be paying for her for a year.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the standard of her work!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Tried that on numerous occasion. The "more experienced" come with bad habits, like just twisting the earth wires together and not actually using a connector of sorts, just to mention one which happened just this week. Using PH screwdrivers on PZ screws which strips the screw, so if i ever need to take it out i have to drill it out, not installing equipment straight, i could go on for pages. My point is i am trying some thing which i did many years ago, training a tea boy to become an electrican, that way he learns my habits, looks after our equipment and uses protective mats when working with tools on a counter top etc etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    That way he learns my habits, looks after our equipment and uses protective mats when working with tools on a counter top etc etc.
    True Ian, but I would say you still don't have to go the SETA route, you can train the guy and when he has served the time he can do the exam and qualify that way.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    With previous companies I worked for and hired staff I personally preferred having staff serve time this way we could ensure that they learn the systems and methods of the company forming them to meet our requirements and when ready have them do their exams and qualify. This saved us a lot of money as our qualified employees ended up either causing damage to equipment or not being capable to perform the job regardless of the qualifications they had
    For all your I.T. Support in Cape Town contact Dynamic Support.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A few jobs ago I was in a situation where I wanted training. I could to the work and needed the papers. Thing is the papers cost about R75K and training is abroad. A heavy investment for the company I worked for. That said I was a good earner and they made good money. Enough for that new sports car and home upgrades.

I tried saving up so that I could send myself but after doing the math I knew that I will not see my commission as I could only get it if I was qualified. So I was on minimum pay regardless of the work done or money earned.

So I walked… There was no future for me. 6 months after I walked I got a phone call asking me to come back they need me. 9 months later the business went the way of the dodo. So what about training?

You have two choices in my opinion train a person or outsource aka labour-broker. The choice is yours.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.