Thread: I'm so mad right now...

Email problem
    Thanks

I'm so mad right now...

Hi all,

So I'm surfing Gumtree & come across a lady in Diepriver area who's selling a Netbook for a VERY good price. I call her ( Sunday evening ), ask the questions I want to ask, and we agree on a price that she's comfortable with. The price is R200 less than the advertised amount. I tell her ok I'll take it, & will contact her Monday or Tuesday with a time that I'll come collect it.

09:27 Monday morning I call her wanting to tell her that I would like to come collect the unit, and she says, " Oh two other people have called & offered me the advertised price. Sorry"

Now my question...

I was the first person who called & she AGREED to sell it to me at said price. Doesn't that mean that the damn unit is SOLD & she cannot go around trying to sell it for more? Yes, everyone wants to get the best deal for their goods they're selling, but by us AGREEING last night that I'll take it, doesn't that mean the damn thing is mine at said price?

Or am I wrong here?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I know you're pissed but there is another side to it.

I am not going to give you the answer that you want to hear. The deal is only complete when the goods and cash has changed hands, until that point it is simply a unenforceable offer to purchase.

Think about it:
    You put an item on Gumtree for R 1,000
    A person offers you R 1,000 and you say ok you can have it tomorrow.
    Another person phones and says that they just have to have the item and they will give you R2,000 right now in cash in your hand - what will you do?

3. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (19-Nov-12)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Yea, you're right. I should've gone to her immediately after we discussed the discounted selling price to collect the item.

Still mad though. Oh well...

Thanks
    that was a pretty sweet discount. Next time you find something like that again close the deal asap.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I've been on both sides of the Gumtree coin...get your goods or pay your cash ASAP...you snooze you lose.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.