I a homeboy of Lenasia..born and bred..this is my hood...

The Provincial Government stated that these illegally bought/erected houses will continue to be demolished. Apparently criminal elements sold these government plots for as little as R2500, in some cases as much as R90 000. They even provided fraudulent title deeds.

I know and understand that I can’t just wake up one morning and find an unoccupied piece of government land and put up a for sale sign! I also appreciate that many people are on the waiting list for council houses and that there is due process for obtaining council homes. I don’t condone what the criminal elements done nor do I condone the ignorance or or the fact that some buyers were co perpetrators with the criminals who fraudulently sold the plots.
I don’t accept the manner in which people’s homes were destroyed. These are real families with kids. The government should have at the very least arranged proper alternative accommodation for them. When you for humanitarian causes, you don’t always look at what criminal element was behind the houses, you should look at the present state of affairs, 100’s of families without homes!