Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Workshop retaining vehicle after performing unapproved repairs, not even quoted for!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Read S15 of the Consumer Protection Act.

Having just had a JSE listed company try to prematurely wriggle out of a contract today by trying to invoke a clause in the CPA, I had better mention that the CPA does not apply at all where the consumer is a juristic person with assets or annual turnover exceeding (currently) R2 million in terms of S5 2) b), and many of the other sections start with a clause that can further limit applicability too.

I'll say this too, CPA or not, nowadays I wouldn't do any work for anybody without first giving an estimate and receiving written authorisation to proceed. It's just good practice that stops all kinds of needless nonsense.
    And we all learn that lesson the hard way, it seems.

Thanks
    Has she not come back to you, since you took your car back.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Has she not come back to you, since you took your car back.
    Nope, not a word.
    See, her Head Office has it on record that she admitted to not following protocol.
    They have no case.

Thanks
    I need some information please:
    My vehicle broke down and was towed in to the company who replaced most of the engine in June, at a cost of R28 000.00. I saw it as a warranty repair, and the vehicle was towed in to the said workshop, two weeks ago.

At NO stage was I ever informed that this was NOT going to be repaired under a warranty claim. I called the Owner of the workshop daily for updates. At NO stage whatsoever was I ever informed that the vehicle is being repaired AT MY OWN COST. At NO stage did I receive any quotation, estimate, or information that an estimate will be done once the engine has been opened. I NEVER signed any CPA forms, or gave any written consent at all; I never even telephonically or verbally consented to repairs being done. (I record important phone conversations).

On Monday, I was informed that they are putting oil in the vehicle and will test it on that day, and that I can then come and fetch it as soon as I have paid the bill. I was blown away, and enquired as to when I actually gave permission for repairs not under warranty, and in fact... where was the quote?!!! I then received the quote, with Monday's date on it - for R 12 000.00.

I have lodged a formal complaint with their Head Office, who referred me to the MIO for arbitration, as the franchise is independantly owned.

The owner, a woman, went into a screaming fit yet again, on the phone today, becoming very abusive, and screaming that 'that f'in vehicle will not go anywhere until it is paid in full'. (Recorded).

They are refusing to hand over my vehicle.

Surely this is a clear case of violation of my rights under the CPA, and I have the law on my side to fetch my vehicle - the workshop must then decide if they want to proceed with legal action towards recovering 'their money' (Sarcasm is mine)???
    Good morning Carin,
    I would firstly like to impress upon you that the very first thing that I have done is to put myself in your position and ask: How would I react and respond? I would feel robbed, deceived, and very angry!
    1. In my opinion you have several valid grounds for a complaint to the Consumer Commissioner. In my opinion there was intentional misrepresentation.
    2. Your immediate problem is that you really need and want your car now! The workshop/panel-beater is refusing to hand over the car unless they get payment;
    3. The police are likely to tell you that this is a civil matter and that they don’t get involved in a civil matter;
    4. Might I suggest that, apart from other dispute resolution mechanisms you’ve already initiated, name and shame this company/business right here! Then, inform them of this and state that you want them to provide right of reply;
    5. Any member that then wants to put questions to this business may do so, other affected clients may also happen upon this thread and have similar complaints!
    6. The only practical way, in my opinion, that you can really get your car back in the shortest period of time is by a court order.
    (As Flaker has correctly pointed out, you've already taken delivery of your vehicle, so what I've shared with you is not really applicable here!(Sorry!)
    Last edited by Dave A; 12-Nov-12 at 12:44 PM. Reason: fixed tag
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

5. Thanks given for this post:

Darkangelyaya (10-Nov-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    "The only practical way, in my opinion, that you can really get your car back in the shortest period of time is by a court order."

Which horse you're riding, Vanash? The lady is "riding" her car right now,having taking delivery without any sort of payment

7. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (10-Nov-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flaker View Post
    "The only practical way, in my opinion, that you can really get your car back in the shortest period of time is by a court order."

Which horse you're riding, Vanash? The lady is "riding" her car right now,having taking delivery without any sort of payment
    Clearly the wrong horse!!! I was actually responding directly to the very first post of Carin!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

9. Thanks given for this post:

Darkangelyaya (10-Nov-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flaker View Post

It would be interesting to know how show got her car back. Most places will keep the keys locked away, and the car securely stored until the invoice has been paid. Bypassing their security, and or procedures to get the cars could result in a case of trespassing - but we don't actually know how she got her car back.

I'm not saying what the garage did was right, but should one resort to breaking the law to re-claim your own car?
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    It would be interesting to know how show got her car back. Most places will keep the keys locked away, and the car securely stored until the invoice has been paid. Bypassing their security, and or procedures to get the cars could result in a case of trespassing - but we don't actually know how she got her car back.

I'm not saying what the garage did was right, but should one resort to breaking the law to re-claim your own car?
    I went and asked to test-drive my vehicle, together with the mechanic who worked on it. They voluntarily handed me the keys to my vehicle which was standing outside in the parking lot.
    After the testdrive I came back to the workshop, locked my vehicle, walked into the owner's office, and told her that I am taking my vehicle (outside in the public parking lot).
    She asked what about the payment, I told her that I never authorized any work, and do not intend to pay for anything.
    I walked out.
    Breaking the law?! Funny.
    ~Anything or anyone who does not bring you alive, is too small for you~ Carina
    ~The moment you think you know it all, is the moment you know nothing~ Carina
    twitter: @DarkAngelYaya - Blogger: The Common Garden Variety Goddess - darkangelcarina@gmail.com

One Google Page Result away from being Famous

12. Thank given for this post:

Citizen X (11-Nov-12), Dave A (12-Nov-12), Mike C (12-Nov-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    And I would do it again, in a heartbeat.

As a nation, we are too timid in standing up for ourselves. We complain about poor service etc. on online forums, instead of taking actions that have positive effects on service levels. I have been guilty of this too - like eating a disappointing meal in a restaurant - but instead of demanding good food for hard-earned cash, I just never go there again.

And yet, when I provide a service to a client, I go out of my way to make sure they are happy, to the point of doing additonal work that negatively affect my profit margin.

It's time we all get some backbone, and stand up for our rights. Life is not a dress-rehearsal. This is it.
    ~Anything or anyone who does not bring you alive, is too small for you~ Carina
    ~The moment you think you know it all, is the moment you know nothing~ Carina
    twitter: @DarkAngelYaya - Blogger: The Common Garden Variety Goddess - darkangelcarina@gmail.com

One Google Page Result away from being Famous

14. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (11-Nov-12)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You rock...you have bigger balls...sorry 'guts' than 99% of the men out there...

16. Thanks given for this post:

Darkangelyaya (11-Nov-12)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast