Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Suspended
    Thanks

Hurricane Sandy

Well, overall I could say that we are lucky.

We had electricity, water, and gas through the storm while many people closer to the coast or even Manhattan (up to 29th street Dad said) have no power, some got no water or gas as well. My friend lived in Seagate (its on the tip of Brooklyn that juts into the Ocean, the very south of Coney Island) he kinda went to live with his cousin for a bit cause no electricity, water, gas, and lots of damage it was literally one block from the ocean.

Where we live the winds weren't that bad but still about one block away and two blocks away two trees landed on cars. One pretty badly horizontally, the other vertically. The one that hit the truck ripped out almost all the sidewalk as it tipped over so thats kinda crappy. They are still pumping out water from subway tunnels across the river to let trains go some are probably working cause my parents went to work by train but a lot of lower manhattan areas where they stopped was flooded, like Canal street stop etc...

New Jersey got hit pretty badly Atlantic City was 85% flooded, and Hoboken (directly across from Midtown-Manhattan) also got severely flooded. I think 3 dams broke in Jersey somewhere and increased floods and they had to suspend the nuclear reactor at Oyster Creek lots of damage to be quiet honest.

There was a fire on Breezy Point (which is on the long peninsula jutting into the ocean in Queens, Jamaica Bay) basically around 80-100+ houses burned down during the hurricane. Very nice area me and friends used to go there cause beaches are cleaner since it directly faces the ocean unlike brighton beach which is kinda sheltered by it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0024.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	2971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0020.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	2972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0021.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	2973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0023.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	2974

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Damn, that photographs are harsh. Would the government cover the cost of the damage to private property or is it up to each individuals private insurance company?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Damn, that photographs are harsh. Would the government cover the cost of the damage to private property or is it up to each individuals private insurance company?
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-1...otos-and-after

This is better to give scope its aerial photos before/after. Its mostly New Jersey but this applies to coastal parts of Brooklyn and Queens (granted very very limitedly) parts like Breezy point and Seagate up through Brighton. Also applies to long island.

My guess is since most people in North East do not have hurricane insurance probably not this is one of those one in a hundred years events when they go up that high. Most hurricanes hit Florida or down south very few if any make it to Virginia.

I am sure there will be some insurance coverage for flooding for those people near the coasts that got washed out literally since they probably did have that coverage (but also not most of them is my guess).

Gov't probably won't cover it. My guess everyone eats their costs, even people in Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens whom had their cars flooded etc... unless they had full coverage insurance. It all depends not just if you had the insurance but what type of coverage. Even then its' still a bad situation.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sad about all the damage. The gas fires that caused the houses to burn down must have been devastating on top of the storm.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Email problem
    Thanks
    We humans are tiny specs compared to mother nature in full fury!! Strongs to all that was affected by this storm. My payers are with all of them!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's been a heck of a lot of coverage on Sky News. Incredible how big the hit was in some areas. That's going to take some patching up.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Glad you ok Cypok. We all know that Americans are pretty resilient and hard working and it'll be business as usual within a few days!

Thanks
    Who is Scoffold's Payers paying over to?

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.