Thread: The other side of flashy websites....

Diamond Member
    Thanks

The other side of flashy websites....

So last night my laser splutters to a halt. I did some fault finding and it is clear that the power supply is shot. Ok, so I think, no problem, just pop onto the internet, find a South African supplier and purchase anew power supply and sommer a tube as well. I jump on the net and find six stunning websites, flashy, bells, whistles, yoyos and dingbats as well. Call them up one after the other. hmmm...it become clear very quickly that they most are p1$$willy little companies operated by Johnny and his dog...

This is the problem with marketing, people build these beautiful websites with flashy pictures (swiped off other websites) which look very impressive but when it comes right down to it it is all, as the saying goes "p1$$ and paint" because there is absolutely nothing behind the site, Johnny's maid answers the phone, the boss is at work, he may phone back, no we don't carry stock, it will only take 3 weeks from the supplier, you must pay up front...and and and...

The internet has created a shop window where anybody can make out as if they are somebody even though they are nobody that has nothing to offer.

I eventually found the parts that I need in Ermelo of all places...

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (01-Nov-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Indeed yes, I phoned a local UPS supplier... Nice website they have an actual person answering the phones and I got my UPS in two weeks. However what they do is they send a young dude with a very old car to your local shop "our local computer shop" buy the UPS from them add 14% VAT on it and a 24% markup and then deliver it ???

I $hit you not because they neglected to remove the computer store's barcode... Needless to say I was angry but hey that "online shopping for you"
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Adriaan
    I got myself a spare tube power supply and motors from China. But how do you test if these work?
    Sometimes Gerhard at astroware has stock
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I had a long discussion with Gerhard at Astroware.

I'm going to purchase a tube, power supply, some lenses, inline red-dot pointer and a magetic switch from him. He is able to ship it to me by air overnight.

My machine works very hard, we've been running it for about 10 hours a day for the past couple of months. I did a bit of research and it seems that the expected lifespan of a tube is 2000 hours. I've had the machine for about 23 months so its done ok.

Its just so inconvenient right now, we've got a huge amount of MDF to cut and I have to build an entire architectural model starting Thurday next week to the 17th..

Oh well, at least I've found the parts and I can fix it myself.

I'm quite sure that the power supply is stuffed, everything points to it but if it isn't and its the tube then I'll have a spare power supply. I'll have a spare power supply or tube.

Thanks
    Now's the time for the second laser then

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Ian, damn, life is a funny place. The machine wanted to know nothing last night and this morning. I took the power supply out, opened it and gave it a good blow with the compressor. I then removed the PCB and gave it a good clean with spirits. put it all back together and put the power supply back in the machine...now the damn thing works again...

I am going to purchase all those parts anyway but this issue was just such a waste of time. I did end up realigning the mirrors so at least some good has come of it.

I would love to have 2 machines, a 150W machine with a 2300 x 1500mm bed and a 70W 600 x 400mm desktop.

I'll say this much, I sure am glad that I know my way around the mechanicals and electronics of these machines, the "local laser shop" would have simply replaced everything and charged me a fortune.

Thanks
    We had an issue where we could not cut perfect circles. tightened some belts and pulled out a loose wire. Now the circles are perfect.
    I still want cut some targets to put in the mirror holders to help with alignment.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The revived tube didn't last long, it went fullblast for a while and then gave up again. I like the targets idea. Do you have a red dot laser on your machine?

Thanks
    We had one (RED DOT) fitted when we bought the machine, but it was not through the lens and a waste of time. It was the loose wires from this that that hooked and caused the bad circle cuts. If you could get one that goes through the mirrors and lens then it could be helpful for alignment.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I've also got one that mounts to the head and like your has absolutely no value. I'm getting one that goes through the mirros. It is so interesting how it works. It sit parallel to the tube about 75 cm towards the front of the machine. There is a one way mirror fitted at 45 degrees directly in the path of the 1st to 2nd mirror. The one way mirror reflects the red laser at right angles in the exact same path as the CO2 laser. The CO2 laser passes straight through the one way mirror without any distortion. So at the end of the day all one really needs to add the redlaser is the laser itself, of cource and the one-way mirror with its mount.