pheeew second time asking for input here in the forums in one day - tis a blue monday indeed !

well here's what happened :

my most expereinced chap ( happens to be factory manager as well ) was doing a job that we had to have complete on friday morning for installation at the clients home ( 26/10/12 ) , he knew this , when the day ended he whent home instead of putting in overtime to complete the job , the factory was working late on various other projects so there was a overtime shift in place already . he then sent a message with a fellow worker on friday morning saying he couldnt come in as he had personal business to attend to , i phoned the worker and reminded him that the client has now been put out and could he please come to work on saturday ( 27/10/12 ) so we could finish off - he said he that is in order he will be there , i spoke with the client and apologized and said we would be there on saturday no problems - he was happy with that . worker in on saturday and when i had a look at the end product it was shocking in quality and done incorrectly and would not be able to even fit into the clients application , i told him that , he got upset and downed tools and walked out , i had to speak again with the client on saturday who by now is past the point of irate with me and my business seens we arent coming to finish the job once again . today the worker is not here to fix the job and after i phoned him he told me that he was not happy with my attitude when i spoke to him about the job in question , he will only be back in tomorrow again to discuss this with me .

now if there is a labour lawyer in the house or somebody with expereince in such matters may i ask if i can have this chap up for gross insubordination ?

now i know i was very harsh in my criticism of his workmanship and for staying out on the day we were supposed to have completed the job but after having to kiss the clients behind to keep him happy and then having to do more butt kissing again and making myself look like a a-hole as well i feel as the employer i have the right to say something to my workers when they drop me like this with a important client .

a) do i have the right to disclipine this chap ?
b) can i skip giving a verbal warning and go straight to a final written warning for such gross insubordination ?

hey many thanks for anybody taking the time to read this long post and having any answers .