Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gross insubordination - what to do ?

Email problem
    Thanks
    point taken sir .

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I learned it the hard way...having been an employee and an employer, and take it from me, I also get p1$$ed when things don't get done or when people are just difficult.

At the end of the day the only thing that each of us as employers and employees can do is to treat one another with respect and to keep our own noses clean...as hard as it is to keep one's cool.

The problem these days is that everybody have cellphones with cameras which are able to record our every move. You may just strip at an employee and call him something or the other and find a video of the event not only in a CCMA case but also on Youtube. We live in a world where our every action can be recorded and broacast to the entire world to see (...and I also forget this fact when I get the mo3r in and do the roadrage thing...)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    The problem these days is that everybody have cellphones with cameras which are able to record our every move. You may just strip at an employee and call him something or the other and find a video of the event not only in a CCMA case but also on Youtube. We live in a world where our every action can be recorded and broacast to the entire world to see (...and I also forget this fact when I get the mo3r in and do the roadrage thing...)
    Agreed Adrian. That is why we should always try to live who we really are and try to avoid mood swings and outbursts. I also find that hard to do though...
    Last edited by Blurock; 31-Oct-12 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    That is why we should always try to live who we really are
    To the contrary, I don't actually give a $h1t about a lot of things....The last thing I need in my life is to present the world with who I really am. I am quite happy to tell people to f_off when they get on my nerves (which is often)

I think the answer is for us to be true diplomats at all times...to please those who need to be pleased even though you know that it is a blatant lie.

We are expected to have multiple personalities just to get through the day, we must be nice to customers we hate, we should not speak our minds when we feel the urge and we should not tell the boss when he is just being a total a-hole. The when we get home we shouldn't get cross when young Suzy has thrown the TV remote in the toilet, the wife bitches about the unfixed (whatever) and the gardener has broken the lawnmower again. We have to be able to switch modes, click, you are the dilligent worker agreeing with whatever garbage the boss comes up with, click, you are the family man who agrees with the wife and doesn't get cross with suzy, click, click click.......The problem with me is that I got those modes wrong a lot of the time, I wold tell the boss to f_off when he gets on my nerves and I would crack when the remote goes down the toilet yet again....

Nah, I try to stay far away from my general personality....it has gotten me in far too much trouble over the years....the best is to act whatever part needs to be acted and to smile wrily and be happy in the knowledge that I am simply acting a part in a game called "My life"

Thanks
    adrianh, you could have used my name up there instead of yours, only difference is I'm not a Platinum member yet! High five my Buddy!

Thanks
    I am simply acting a part in a game called "My life"
    Congratulations if you can succeed in that. I am trying, but just can not be successful at it! My favorite fail is to tell the customer that is wrong, to f_off! Next favorite is the wife... haha. She always have a SOHF. (Sense of humor failure) If something breaks, they pull straws to determine who is going to tell me.

Then again, my hardworking, honest staff and loyal, honest customers, will die for me... I wonder why?
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I think the answer is for us to be true diplomats at all times...
    I think the answer is to continuously work on improving ourselves. Diplomacy can backfire horribly if it isn't backed by sincerity.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I think the answer is to continuously work on improving ourselves. Diplomacy can backfire horribly if it isn't backed by sincerity.
    Diplomacy is ok, but often we try to be politically correct or gender sensitive to our own detriment and then do not get to the point of solving the problem.

People know me as someone who does not take any bullshit. What you see is what you get. People know where they stand with me as I do not often hide my feelings. (which has also landed me in trouble)

I will not accept bad service, but I will also not accept abuse. I have learnt the hard way that being civil and professional does not mean being soft. When you lose your temper and start calling people names, the tide usually start turning against you, even when you are right. Be firm, but still treat people with respect.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @Blurock - I agree..but there is jst so much more to our own mental states.

Thanks
    The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made. -Jean Giraudoux

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast