Thread: Business management as a science!

Thanks

Business management as a science!

Okay, ‘Nobody listen to techno, now lets go!”
    Business owners and managers are often marginalised alternatively given a place in the footnotes academically speaking. To put it bluntly, the doctors and physicist THINK that they are the champions of academia. This is simply not true at all! I’ll prove it to you!
    To answer a simple question: Is Business management science?
    I’ll answer it for you!
    1. There are certain criteria that must be complied with before any field can be classified as a science.[1]
    2. A clearly distinguishable feature of any science is simply that it must have a clearly defined study, or center or nucleus. Business management does indeed comply! Your business is the center of this study.[2]
    3. Another feature of a science is simply that it must be independent of other sciences. Since your business has human beings in it’s employ who wish to attain certain personal and group goals. In particular according to Cronje et al(1991:19), the angle from which business management looks at an organisation is indicated by the purpose of the study, which is to examine those things that can guide businesses as effectively as possible to their end, which is primarily to make a profit.
    It is this feature which allows business management to qualify as a science, ‘since it is mainly concerned with the ways in which profitability of a business can be maximised, and this is quite distinct from the study of the business organisation by other sciences.’
    4. We now consider the actual definition of a science which Cronje et al(1991:20), define rather appropriately, ‘ a uniform, systematised body of knowledge of facts and scientific laws, and the existence of laws and principles that are constantly tested in practice.’
    The field or discipline if you will of business management does consist of systemised knowledge i.e. financial accounting, asset management etc;
    5. Now here is the only place we fall short, you guys meet 3 of the 4 requirements of a bona fide science, the final, ultimate purpose of a science is to produce a generally accepted theory. Since the environment in which your business exists is constantly changing i.e. technology, protest action, new suppliers etc some doubt that you guys will be able to produce a generally accepted theory. I submit that despite this you eventually will!

[1] Vide Introduction to Business management. Cronje et al. Southern Book Publishers (PTY)(LTD). 1991. Page 19.

[2] Supra. Page 19. Para 2. Confer Lucas G.H.G. et al. Die Taak van die Bemarkingsbestuurder, Van Schaik, Pretoria, 1979, Page 11
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So does that mean that business management is actually an art?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    So does that mean that business management is actually an art?
    In my opinion business management is both an art and a young developing science. The question of whether it is a science at the very least compels us to critically analyse this disciple. One must appreciate that one component of business management is economics. Economics is a social science in so far as it studies how society and business use the scarce resources we have at our disposal. Business management as an applied science engages in the study of consumer behaviour. Consumer behaviour stems from psychology. It is consumer behaviour which is of prime importance for marketing management and in particular advertising and sales promotion. Man manifests in business management as an employee, an employer, a customer or a supplier. Industrial psychology is at the forefront of the relationship between management of employer and employee.
    The uncontrollable aspect can be clearly seen in South Africa. I think that not even the unions could have anticipated that many workers would eventually lose confidence in them. Many miners are still on strike, they show slight regard and contempt for their erstwhile unions! Accountancy helps us to make informed decisions. I could never compile any financial statement, I could however study and income statement, balance sheet and trading account and make informed decisions based on that. We borrow from engineering and applied mathematics the very heart of our manufacturing process
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus