Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiki: A brilliant idea!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    I agree with Vanash, except I think we should sell it as an e-book, funds can go to a charity all the contributors agree to by vote,
    anybody buying the e-book must first sign an indemnity form.

Starting a wiki would be a good way of getting the information members have to offer together before publishing.

Also it does not have to be so scientific, just common sense and members experience.

Start with "so you have an idea for a business, now what?"

Oh and as a reward the contributors get to place adverts in the e-book!!!
    In that case i.e. not academic.. TFSA must provide proper guidelines and requirements. I have a personality and character, now in an article, this can never manifest. You need to assassinate your own personality. You need to be formal. Each sentence must be properly structured. You must work with well defined main ideas and you must by necessity have sources the Harvard method and footnotes as well as a list of references at the end of the article. It is for this reason that I know I’ll never be an academic writer. I personally will probably butcher my personality and make one post. Here in this thread we free to express ourselves as we see fit, unfortunately this is not the case with an article. I personally won’t expect anything in return. This is just my opinion. We must never loose sight of the fact that there are more than 14000 members of TFSA and therefore some 14000 opinions. We must never lose sight that we are merely members. TFSA will make the final call, they will direct the process they have started. I merely happened on the wiki TFSA post and stated my opinion
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    It is also a huge responsibility on behalf of the contributors as intended good advice may also be used against you in court if it does not work out.
    That's unfortunately the nature of the society that we live in.
    Blurock your concerns are valid! I do however believe that since this is a TFSA iniative, they will have the obligatory disclaimers etc, they will therefor bear the ultimate risk and not us as mere individual members.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vanash, you hit the core of the challenge when it comes to the Wiki area - it is a very demanding medium; far more demanding than the forum format.

The forum format lends itself to the question/answer(s) method of recording knowledge, and extracting that knowledge takes the form of a conversation. It's easy and natural - akin to the way a group explores issues and develops answers in the "real world".

The Wiki format is far more akin to "documentation of knowledge", and the first step for it to work is for someone with an understanding of where that document is headed to first lay out a framework. Only from there can you really start getting community support for the page/project as individuals add their own information to augment the existing content (or correct it, which starts a whole new series of issues).

My basic idea behind the TFSA wiki was to try to document some of the useful information that the TFSA forum area produces (with the emphasis on some). The goal isn't to duplicate the work done in the forum, but there are some instances where the more formally structured, editable nature of the wiki could produce better results than the forum discussion format.

Examples of instances off the top of my head would be:
    • Where the content is dynamic and needs fairly regular updating,
    • A subject is a compilation of multiple "threads", aimed to give a better overall understanding,
    • It's a document that would benefit from having multiple contributors to the finished product,
    • Updatable lists.

Ultimately I think we should recognise that the wiki format is nowhere near as engaging as the forum format, and is unlikely to ever see the same level of participation as the forum area does. At times I've even thought of dropping the wiki addition entirely (normally when dealing with a vBulletin update that messes up the integration, which is pretty challenging ). However, I've ended up keeping it as there are scenarios where it could prove a very useful tool to have handy one day.

In the mean time it remains available as an area for members to add to as time and passion may provide.

The TFSA general disclaimer should deal fairly well with the liability concerns raised. (Of course and as always, I'm open to any suggested improvements).

4. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (16-Oct-12), Citizen X (17-Oct-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The Wiki format is far more akin to "documentation of knowledge", and the first step for it to work is for someone with an understanding of where that document is headed to first lay out a framework. Only from there can you really start getting community support for the page/project as individuals add their own information to augment the existing content (or correct it, which starts a whole new series of issues).

My basic idea behind the TFSA wiki was to try to document some of the useful information that the TFSA forum area produces (with the emphasis on some). The goal isn't to duplicate the work done in the forum, but there are some instances where the more formally structured, editable nature of the wiki could produce better results than the forum discussion format.

Examples of instances off the top of my head would be:
    • Where the content is dynamic and needs fairly regular updating,
    • A subject is a compilation of multiple "threads", aimed to give a better overall understanding,
    • It's a document that would benefit from having multiple contributors to the finished product,
    • Updatable lists.

Ultimately I think we should recognise that the wiki format is nowhere near as engaging as the forum format, and is unlikely to ever see the same level of participation as the forum area does. At times I've even thought of dropping the wiki addition entirely (normally when dealing with a vBulletin update that messes up the integration, which is pretty challenging ). However, I've ended up keeping it as there are scenarios where it could prove a very useful tool to have handy one day.

In the mean time it remains available as an area for members to add to as time and passion may provide.

The TFSA general disclaimer should deal fairly well with the liability concerns raised. (Of course and as always, I'm open to any suggested improvements).
    A very good morning to you Dave,

I think the wiki idea, with an emphasis on South African Business is absolutely brilliant! I think it will work. You guys just need to provide us with very clear and concise requirements for articles. I think standardisation of the article will also be important. Each article ideally should have the same structure i.e. Introduction, body(with seperate manin ideas) and conclusion. Referencing is key and therefore reserach is key. Both the Harvard and footnote method of referencing should be used. Structure can be obtained from two main sources,1: two Introduction to Business Management Textbooks(The latest, Perhaps the textbook Wits is using and the textbook UCT is using and 2: SAQA, the NQF has come a long way in structuring learning outcomes and objectives. These learning outcomes and objectives can somehow be incorporated into the structure. Since at some point, the management functions of planning, organising, leading and control will by necessity also have to be included in articles, this project in and of itself will also require it's fair share of planning, organising, leading and controlling.

I suppose what I'm suggesting is that you guys give us guidance, without guidance, not even I will be able to make a meaningful contribution. AND, I know I will have to assasinate my effeversent way of talking!!!
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The intro and main body sections kinda deals with itself.

Citations also seems to be embedded functionality, although I've never played with them myself yet.

From a page structure point of view there's not much wrong with this page from Wikipedia as an example of solid page structure - the South Africa page demonstrates what can be done if you're prepared to really get going with bells and whistles. But that's serious masterclass stuff!

Probably the other thing worth mentioning is the syntax is a little less intuitive than posting on the forum. But if you're interested to learn how to play, start here, then go muck around creating a page in the TFSA wiki.

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi all

Vanash you idea is BRILLIANT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by league_of_ordinary_men View Post
    Hi all

Vanash you idea is BRILLIANT
    A very good evening to you league_of_ordinary_men,
    Actually it's a TFSA idea, I merely support it!
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    A very good evening to you league_of_ordinary_men,
    Actually it's a TFSA idea, I merely support it!
    Hi Vanash Naick,then I support you for supporting the idea

10. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (18-Oct-12)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12