I have a problem with my ex landlord to get my deposit refunded to me. I moved out at the end of June, and after numerous emails he is still not giving me a date as to when he will pay my deposit back.

I then logged a complaint to the Rental Housing Tribunal on 13 August and received confirmation from them on 23 August. After many phone calls and emails to them, I eventually got to speak to my case agent on 3 October, when I found out that no notification was sent to the landlord. When I asked him when I could phone again for an update, he told me that I have to wait, and "you can make as many calls as you want, you will get the same answer". I escalated this to his manager, and two days later a mediation session was arranged, only to be cancelled again by them a few days later.

Since then I received an email from the landlord (in reply to one of my mails) for me to come and see him at his house to discuss when and how he is going to refund me (work out a payment plan). I replied to this that he should come see me if he want to work out terms.

My questions are:

1. Was he not supposed to keep the deposit in an interest bearing account? He obviously did not, since he does not have the money.
2. Why does the Tribunal want mediation? They must just instruct him to pay the money!
3. How long does the process by the Tribunal take? So far I am not impressed with their service.

According to the Rental Housing Act this man is breaking the law. Do I have to get private legal advice to get this sorted? I know that this is not a lot of money, but I do not want him to get away with it. What if he does the same to his new tenants and I did nothing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks