Thread: Broken Kettle and the car aircon

Thanks

Broken Kettle and the car aircon

If I am heading for a fight with a store, I always like to know my rights before I open my mouth.

So where do I stand here, and what are my options ?

The kettle :

12 June this year we buy a new Russell Hobbs kettle from Checkers Hyper.

Since about a month ago, the handle gets incredibly hot after boiling a (nearly) max load. In fact it is so hot it is not possible to pick up the kettle, until the handle has cooled a few minutes later.

Yesterday, it gives up the ghost completely. Won't switch on. Dead as a doornail.

So tomorrow it's off to Checkers with this. Got the receipt and the original box.

What are my options / rights ?

The aircon :
    This past January I had the condenser of the car aircon replaced. (Old one got hit by a stone).
    10 months down the line, the aircon does not work anymore - no cold air. Back to the auto-electrician that did the last job and the inspection shows leaks from the condenser ( they have a dye in the system ).
    No problem. He gets on the phone to the supplier and gets told that the condenser only has a 3 month warranty.
    The Supplier wants the condenser back to send to the factory on Jozi for them to inspect and decide if they will offer a replacement.

It is obvious (and the professional opinion of the installer) from the location of the leaks that it was not caused by the installer, no rust or other damage, etc.

What are my rights that I should be aware of before the supplier / factory try to pull the wool ?
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You should not have any problems replacing the kettle as it normally comes with at least a 12 month guarantee. Checkers will just send it back to the supplier and give you a replacement.

The aircon is a different kettle of fish. (pardon the pun). The motor trade is notorious for side-stepping guarantee and warranty issues. Workmanship is usually guaranteed for only 3 months. If the installer stands by you, you may get it sorted out . Good luck.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    You should not have any problems replacing the kettle as it normally comes with at least a 12 month guarantee. Checkers will just send it back to the supplier and give you a replacement.
    Thanks for the advice. However, lets say that I have now lost all faith in this particular make / model. What are my options ?
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Thanks for the advice. However, lets say that I have now lost all faith in this particular make / model. What are my options ?
    Russell Hobbs is one of the better brands. I think the best that you can hope for is a replacement. Refund or exchange is out.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Email problem
    Thanks
    Blurock, I beg to differ. I have only ever had problems with Russell Hobbs. See in my opinion the style and look of Russell Hobbs has mislead ppl in believing its a good brand. Maybe I was just unlucky, but after the tenth product to fail you wonder what luck has to do with it...Well just my opinion!! I do however firmly believe that its one of the most misleading brands you can find...all the bling and non of the real thing!

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Pity the kettle stopped working. I was going to suggest you scald your hand and sue because there is no warning that hot things get hot!!

The condenser - all products come with an automatic 6 month warranty. Where supplier has there own warranty, then this is added to the automatic warranty.
    Therefore the condenser has a 9 month warranty, so you are in....just!!!!!!!!

Always a choice between Replace, Refund or Repair - you decide.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.