Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do: Call-Out

Email problem
    Thanks

What to do: Call-Out

Hi all,

I am so frustrated & fedup it's not even funny. Please let me know how to approach the follwoing scenario ( which happens a lot )

Phone rings.....

Me: Perform goodday

Client: Hi Andrew. This is so & so ( first time client ), & I have a computer problem. Could you please come out & have a look at it for me please. ( This client is a home user ).

Me: Sure. Tomorrow at 11am good for you?

Client: Yes, thx. Tell me, do I have to pay a call-out fee?

Now here's the thing.....

I goto client, identify problem & quote him on the spot. ( Let's say it's a re-install that needs to be done ). Then the client says, "ok, send me a quote & I'll most probably approve it".

Now do I charge the client a call-out fee RIGHT THERE & THEN?

Because I recently went to a new client, identified the problem, and he was 99% sure he wanted me to do the work. Now he's coming with, "I'll let you know". I haven't charged him a call-out. So big surprise I lose out.

Question....

How the heck do you politely tell the client, "If I come out there & identify the problem you still going to pay me a call-out because I'm not going to HOPE you accept my quote".

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

So mad at myself for not charging a call-out, but I was afraid the client would say, "Aaah ok never mind then".

Thanks
    Charge an upfront call out fee and go out when it is paid into your bank (our "computer man" charges R150, and I told him it wasn't enough because at that rate he has lots of clients and his service level, i.e. ability to react quickly is hopeless) I am sure you will need to charge more because of the traffic in Cape Town. If it is a serious client prospect they will expect to pay.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Yea I should've known better. When someone usually asks, "Is there a call-out fee?", it's usually a very stingy accountant that has his own firm, or a home user trying to score free labour / consultation.

Thanks
    If you are good at what you do the call out fee will be willingly accepted - as an incentive you could discount your quote by the call out fee if it is accepted.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (03-Oct-12)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    If you are good at what you do the call out fee will be willingly accepted - as an incentive you could discount your quote by the call out fee if it is accepted.
    Excellent idea! Thank you

Thanks
    If they moan about paying your call out fee just tell them they're welcome to deliver the PC and any other items such as the router to your office and pick it up again, along with the quote, after you've looked at it.

8. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (03-Oct-12), Perform Computers (04-Oct-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good advice from Andy. Everyone charges a call out fee these days. How can you afford not to, given the increase in petrol price?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Garf has the best idea!
    Make them pay for the call-out and a trouble shooting fee when you go to quote, but don't charge them for the trip when they give you the job!

@Andy:- Tell them it is not a good idea to bring the PC in because it may be something else that is causing the problem and that is what you will find out when you trouble shoot on site, it may not be the PC but the printer?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I feel your pain. I am so use to my one client, calling me because there is a problem then i get there then there is nothing wrong. I have never charged him for that, and it has happend to
    me about 50 times over the last 5 years. I should have set the benchmark from the word go, but at that time i was desperate for the work. And i worked for him for a while on pay per day
    basis, now 5 years later and he still expects me to work for him for same daily rate. Not the only problem, he is impossible as-well and changes his mind on every thing he wants, one day he will tell you he wants a report on this and the next day he will not want it, never mind the time I spent on it, he changes the network/office/printers/mail accounts around so many time, then he wants to complain every time when there is problems. Today he will say he wants the mail account on that other computer, tomorrow he will phone you and tell you he wants it back on this computer again. I just got fed up today and just left , not the first time. I am sending him a mail tonight outlining my services, my new fees , and call out fee. Some customers/clients are just going to walk over you if you let them. And I have let that happen to me, no more.

Thanks
    You will never survive if you keep doing the fault finding for free. Great now the client have your quote and the scope on what the problem is. He simply then phone your opposition with the scope of the problem and they give him a cheaper quote.

No matter who the client is, give them your rates!!!

• Give them Your Rate per Hour
    • Give them your travel rate: Keep your travel rate at minimum AA rates
    • Ensure they know that any additional and spares is subject to a new quote.
    • Don't go to the client without a valid order no:
    • If it is a general public client, then ensure they either confirm via email or sms that you must come on the call out.

If you get the job, then you can waive the original call out cost.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (04-Oct-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast