Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 Tips for Success from Richard Branson

Thanks
    Blog Entries

18 Tips for Success from Richard Branson

1. Don't do it if you don't enjoy it.

2. Be Visible “Make sure you appear on the front page and not the back pages”.

3. Choose your name wisely The unique name and brand that Virgin employs is one of the things that has made the company a success.

4. You can’t run a business without taking risks. “The brave may not live forever-but the cautious do not live at all!”

5. The first impression is everything. So is the second. How do you present yourself and your brand in difficult situations.

6. Perfection is unattainable. “When they believe they’ve ‘nailed it’, most people tend to sit back and rest on their laurels while countless others will be labouring furiously to better their work!”

7. The customer is always right, most of the time. “After all, they’re only human too.” Beware that your customer service policies do not damage relationships with customers or staff.

8. Define your brand. Stick to what you know. Under promise and over deliver, because if you don’t define your brand, your competitors will.

9. Explore uncharted territory. Exploring little- or uncharted areas can spark new ideas and innovations.

10. Beware the “us vs them” environment. A workplace should be one in which the boss and his/her employees communicate well and work towards the same goal as WE.

11. Build a corporate comfort zone. Employees must feel free and encouraged to express them selves without rigid confines so they can do better work and make good, impactful decisions.

12. Not everyone is suited to be CEO. A manager needs to be someone who “brings out the best in people,” someone who communicates well with others and helps an employee learn from a mistake instead of criticizing them for it.

13. Seek a second opinion. Seek a third. That means being thorough and deliberate before executing any decisions. In business, seeking a variety of opinions "can save you a lot of time and money,"

14. Cut ties without burning bridges. Just because you decide to go in another direction doesn’t mean things have to end badly, especially with a friend, says Branson. Handle any problems quickly and head-on, and end the relationship as amicably as possible.

15. Pick up the phone. Don’t text or e-mail when you should be calling. Direct communication is always better.

16. Change shouldn't be feared, but it should be managed.
    An entrepreneur should be prepared to adapt, and avoid being nostalgic about the company itself.

17. When it comes to making mistakes, bounce back, don’t fall down.
    Honesty isn’t just the best policy, it’s the only policy, notes Branson. When a mistake is made, don’t let it consume you. Uncover the problem and get to work fixing it.

18 Be a leader, not a boss. Being bossy is not a desirable trait in a manager, he says. A boss orders while a leader organizes.

Source: "Like a Virgin: Secrets They Won’t Teach You at Business School."
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

2. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (01-Oct-12), Citizen X (02-Oct-12), Dave A (04-Oct-12), Isabel Bothma (08-May-14), wynn (02-Oct-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    1. Don't do it if you don't enjoy it.

17. When it comes to making mistakes, bounce back, don’t fall down.
    Honesty isn’t just the best policy, it’s the only policy, notes Branson. When a mistake is made, don’t let it consume you. Uncover the problem and get to work fixing it.

Source: "Like a Virgin: Secrets They Won’t Teach You at Business School."
    Blurock, number 1 and 2 are most appealing to me! You have to enjoy what you doing! Honesty, if you not honest, then you belong to the 'scam alert section, of TFSA, if indeed you not honest, then please indulge me, just list yourself whomsoever you may be under the scam alert section!!!!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    How many people enjoy what they do for a living?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    How many people enjoy what they do for a living?
    Sadly, so many people are stuck in a job that they do not like because they fear change. They are too scared to fire their boss and do what they really want to do.

Finding career direction is a process. Find out who you are and what you want to do. How do you get there? What are you good at? What skills do you still need?

Put lots of effort into the planning stages for better results. Uncovering your true self and your purpose is heavy, emotional work and you may have to go through this process a few times in the span of your working life. The effort however, is certainly worth it when you end up with a clear sense of the direction your career should be taking.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    Blurock, number 1 and 2 are most appealing to me! You have to enjoy what you doing! Honesty, if you not honest, then you belong to the 'scam alert section, of TFSA, if indeed you not honest, then please indulge me, just list yourself whomsoever you may be under the scam alert section!!!!
    Vanash, I fired my boss 4 years ago and have never looked back. I am assisting entrepreneurs to fulfil their dreams and to reach their full potential. In the process I visit a diverse mix of businesses from different industries.

I must have one of the most interesting jobs as I see how different products are being made, from textiles to cars, paint, wine, food, tyres, and plastics. This helps to connect the dots and the best practices I pick up are applied wherever it may add value.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Most people are in a simple trap; work to earn money to buy stuff you don't need, to impress people who don't care.

The trick is to to do what you enjoy without thinking about what other people are thinking about you...I couldn't care less whether they like the car I drive or the size of the weeds growing in my garden, it's my cheese and I will do with it as I please.

Thanks
    Vanash, I fired my boss 4 years ago and have never looked back. I am assisting entrepreneurs to fulfil their dreams and to reach their full potential. In the process I visit a diverse mix of businesses from different industries.

I must have one of the most interesting jobs as I see how different products are being made, from textiles to cars, paint, wine, food, tyres, and plastics. This helps to connect the dots and the best practices I pick up are applied wherever it may add value.

I envy you in that I not quite there as yet, a wanna be if you will! It's ideals like this Blurock from real SA people that keep me motivated!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks

It seems you and i need to get together, i also fired my boss more than 20 years ago and havent looked back, i own 2 companies and busy trying to setup another 2, i believe i have the potential to become a successful bussinessman, but seems to be lacking something and it not hard work. i sometimes wonder if being a hard worker is not the problem.

I have some really good ideas for the new companies, i have already paid for all the equipment to build the products and i already have new in the pipeline and people interested.

You wont believe it but i also live in Durban, so i am just down the road from you

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    It seems you and i need to get together, i also fired my boss more than 20 years ago and havent looked back, i own 2 companies and busy trying to setup another 2, i believe i have the potential to become a successful bussinessman, but seems to be lacking something and it not hard work. i sometimes wonder if being a hard worker is not the problem.

I have some really good ideas for the new companies, i have already paid for all the equipment to build the products and i already have new in the pipeline and people interested.

You wont believe it but i also live in Durban, so i am just down the road from you
    One can sometimes cut so many trees that your saw gets blunt. Take a break to sharpen your saw's teeth and you will be much more productive. Working smart, not harder is the answer.

Ian, I have a number of clients in manufacturing who may be able to assist you. Send me a PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think my problem is, i really enjoy making stuff, its the marketing and selling the products that takes the fun out of it. I have been lucky with the projects i am busy with because i sell them before i finish them, which sucks because i never get to finish them 100 % the way i want it to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast