Thread: Hard Candy Depositor and Temperer? (yes its a technology)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Suspended
    Thanks

Hard Candy Depositor and Temperer? (yes its a technology)

I was wondering if anyone knew South African manufacturers of hard candy depositors and tamperers.

Or chocolate tempering equipment and depositing. Also winnower and a melanguer for small batch 50-100 kg or so per batch. Perhaps less.

But lately I am more interested in hard candy, sugar basically. A depositor/temperer for 3 gram or so round candy similar to http://www.edasugarfree.com/ this shape and a packer perhaps to pack em into rolls of 15 or so. Wondering how much it would cost for something small scale around 30-50kg/per hour and if I could use natural fruit jam and whatnot granted it would have to be mixed very thoroughly.

Thus far everything I found was either useless or unaffordable.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Would the cost of importing from South Africa not make it even more unaffordable? You should be able to find a number of suppliers right there in Brooklyn.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Would the cost of importing from South Africa not make it even more unaffordable? You should be able to find a number of suppliers right there in Brooklyn.
    Its not that much if you think about it to be honest. The machinery cost is the main problem.
    I got quoted an old style roller for hard candy drops at 6k that's without the tempering equipment etc... that is kinda ridiculous.

Comparing price lists is fairly easy and most of firms try to focus on larger producers rather than starters. I figure metal and labor in SA is cheaper.

But yes you are very right I should get more prices from local suppliers just haven't found the right 'size' equipment for the most part. Did find it for chocolate so I can sort of give you prices. A winnower for small scale cocoa batches was 28k, I am not making this up btw. A temperer for 10kg/per hour was 15k, a melangue from cocoatown was 6.4k and i think 700 for delivery from there or around that much. The other temperer was somewhat cheaper and sort of better from savage brothers A 200lb tanks is priced at $9K+ pump 5/6k depending on pump and deliver about 600 and some other aspects for 3k or so. Ergo about 18k. Also you need a roaster for cocoa beans which is about 10k or so. This is without a wrapper or cooling station for chocolate.

The problem is that sugar equipment is more expensive and has far higher kg/per hour that is offered which is a problem. Easier to start it compared to chocolate in my mind but harder to find equipment. My optimal equipment set would be something that makes 25kg-50kg per hour or even batch maximum and fits into one room with combined or small separate tempering/depositing equipment and maybe a wrapper. Notice the amount of equipment goes down to 2/3 pieces. Also I haven't seen competition here in the premium segment so could go for that niche a bit margins are similar to chocolate and high.

Yes, I am very lazy etc... was also curious about equipment prices there.