Thread: A thought on spirituality

Diamond Member
    Thanks

A thought on spirituality

This thought struck me about a week ago. I've been reading a lot of Archeology, Quantum physics, Religion and general science stuff. This idea took hold and has become a sort of mantra in my life;

"Guard your thoughts and emotions for we are all spiritual tranceivers"

We slot ourself into universal patterns through our own mind states. Now I'm not saying that one needs to do the whole art of positive thinking thing or to love everything and everybody, I am saying that all things are connected and those connections are based in some way on our mental state. Maybe it is that when our mind state improves we are more receptive to positive connection. I find that my mindstate has a dramatic effect on my business and of course my life. I am not talking about the whole religious RA RA thinking, it isxnot based in religion, it is based on control of our own thoughts and emotions.

Anyway, the entire idea works for me in that I simply block off negative thinking and concentrate on positive outcomes.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The reality is simple thoughts are by definition none physical and yet thoughts are stored in the physical parts of our brains. It generates ideas and will them so by use of the body. An example is art, design and technology. We can do amazing things and if we get our priorities right I think that the human body can be redesigned by the human mind.

If we look at matter and it’s complexities we realise that atoms are not in their natural neutral state that is why things tend to break down. Yet a few metals don’t share this problem. The best known one is Gold and yet mercury has an infinite capacity to absorb gold and it in itself cannot decay.

Now consider that carbon is the basic building block and it is overlooked that atoms are found within our own DNA structures. Here in is the question that both religion and science cannot answer. Why are we alive?

Fact is we have no greater function unlike gold and mercury that is a perfect conductor of energy. So if energy wanted a conduit then the natural process would have stopped with gold.

Yet here we are, our most basic structure resembles that of a rock “the basic atom” and yet we are more than an echo. We can do almost anything but again why? Why have life? The basic answer is because thought needed a vehicle.

Therein is our greatest question, do we exist because thought exist or do thought exist because we do. The answer is simple thought created matter first and then by design created life. Thus a higher consciousness may well exist.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    The 'design' is what I refer to as 'Nature', for life to exist on our planet you need a few things, firstly a sun, gravity, a moon, water, oxygen and cosmic dust particles.
    What happens is that the sun creates day and night on our revolving planet every 24hrs, the moon exerts gravity causing the tides to rise and fall twice every 24 hrs, because our planet's axis is slightly skew we have summer and winter every 365 days, this is all equated to breathing.
    Our planet breathes once a year for the summer/winter, once a day for day/night, twice a day for high and low tide, the moon also affects other parts of earth with its gravitational pull and reflection of sunlight over a 30 day cycle.
    This effects the conditions for life starting with cosmic dust bringing the basic building blocks of life to settle in a primordial soup with various existing molecules combining and recombining ad nauseum until a number of simple life forms are created.
    These lifeforms mutate again and again until a higher or more complex life form is created and so on until we, with our intelligence, eventually emerged through the natural selection of those selfish genes, half of which we share with a cabbage by the way.
    If you think we are the perfect creation, think again, eventually we or another superior life form will evolve, if we don't destroy all the life on the planet first.
    The planet will continue quite happily without us and the present lifeforms, NATURE will compensate, it will carry on creating new ones over and over for the next few hundred million years unless there is a cosmic collision and everything is destroyed.

An interesting analogy is if the earth is 24 hours old, man has only been here for the last second or two, so what makes us so important?

A similar planetary setup in another solar system would create life just as effectively, different maybe, intelligent maybe, but life nevertheless.

The vibration of molecules is what probably causes our brains to have the notion of a superior being, or is it the influence of nature getting ready to create a superior being?

and Descartes said it well "I think, therefore I am"
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I read a wonderful story about an alien race passing by and wondering whether to visit us. They had a heated debate about what constitutes intelligent life and the wise old alien very elequently convinced them that we should be avoided because there is no intelligent life on earth. His reason was as follows:

"They cannot possibly be intelligent, they have weapons pointed at themselves!"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Lesson From the Dalai Lama

Training the Mind: Verse 1
    With a determination to achieve the highest aim
    For the benefit of all sentient beings
    Which surpasses even the wish-fulfilling gem,
    May I hold them dear at all times.

Training the Mind: Verse 2
    Whenever I interact with someone,
    May I view myself as the lowest amongst all,
    And, from the very depths of my heart,
    Respectfully hold others as superior.

Training the Mind: Verse 3
    In all my deeds may I probe into my mind,
    And as soon as mental and emotional afflictions arise-
    As they endanger myself and others-
    May I strongly confront them and avert them.

Training the Mind: Verse 4
    When I see beings of unpleasant character
    Oppressed by strong negativity and suffering,
    May I hold them dear-for they are rare to find-
    As if I have discovered a jewel treasure!

Training the Mind: Verse 5 & 6
    When others, out of jealousy
    Treat me wrongly with abuse, slander, and scorn,
    May I take upon myself the defeat
    And offer to others the victory.

Training the Mind: Verse 7

The seventh verse summarizes all the practices that we have been discussing. It reads:
    In brief, may I offer benefit and joy
    To all my mothers, both directly and indirectly,
    May I quietly take upon myself
    All hurts and pains of my mothers.

Training the Mind: Verse 8

In the final verse, we read:
    May all this remain undefiled
    By the stains of the eight mundane concerns;
    And may I, recognizing all things as illusion,
    Devoid of clinging, be released from bondage.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    They're Made Out of Meat

From the collection
    Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories

by Terry Bisson

“They’re made out of meat.”

“Meat?”

“Meat. They’re made out of meat.”

“Meat?”

“There’s no doubt about it. We picked up several from different parts of the planet, took them aboard our recon vessels, and probed them all the way through. They’re completely meat.”

“That’s impossible. What about the radio signals? The messages to the stars?”

“They use the radio waves to talk, but the signals don’t come from them. The signals come from machines.”

“So who made the machines? That’s who we want to contact.”

“They made the machines. That’s what I’m trying to tell you. Meat made the machines.”

“That’s ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You’re asking me to believe in sentient meat.”

“I’m not asking you, I’m telling you. These creatures are the only sentient race in that sector and they’re made out of meat.”

“Maybe they’re like the orfolei. You know, a carbon-based intelligence that goes through a meat stage.”

“Nope. They’re born meat and they die meat. We studied them for several of their life spans, which didn’t take long. Do you have any idea what’s the life span of meat?”

“Spare me. Okay, maybe they’re only part meat. You know, like the weddilei. A meat head with an electron plasma brain inside.”

“Nope. We thought of that, since they do have meat heads, like the weddilei. But I told you, we probed them. They’re meat all the way through.”

“No brain?”

“Oh, there’s a brain all right. It’s just that the brain is made out of meat! That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you.”

“So . . . what does the thinking?”

“You’re not understanding, are you? You’re refusing to deal with what I’m telling you. The brain does the thinking. The meat.”

“Thinking meat! You’re asking me to believe in thinking meat!”

“Yes, thinking meat! Conscious meat! Loving meat. Dreaming meat. The meat is the whole deal! Are you beginning to get the picture or do I have to start all over?”

“Omigod. You’re serious then. They’re made out of meat.”

“Thank you. Finally. Yes. They are indeed made out of meat. And they’ve been trying to get in touch with us for almost a hundred of their years.”

“Omigod. So what does this meat have in mind?”

“First it wants to talk to us. Then I imagine it wants to explore the Universe, contact other sentiences, swap ideas and information. The usual.”

“We’re supposed to talk to meat.”

“That’s the idea. That’s the message they’re sending out by radio. ‘Hello. Anyone out there? Anybody home?’ That sort of thing.”

“They actually do talk, then. They use words, ideas, concepts?”

“Oh, yes. Except they do it with meat.”

“I thought you just told me they used radio.”

“They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat.”

“Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much. So what do you advise?”

“Officially or unofficially?”

“Both.”

“Officially, we are required to contact, welcome, and log in any and all sentient races or multibeings in this quadrant of the Universe, without prejudice, fear, or favor. Unofficially, I advise that we erase the records and forget the whole thing.”

“I was hoping you would say that.”

“It seems harsh, but there is a limit. Do we really want to make contact with meat?”

“I agree one hundred percent. What’s there to say? ‘Hello, meat. How’s it going?’ But will this work? How many planets are we dealing with here?”

“Just one. They can travel to other planets in special meat containers, but they can’t live on them. And being meat, they can only travel through C space. Which limits them to the speed of light and makes the possibility of their ever making contact pretty slim. Infinitesimal, in fact.”

“So we just pretend there’s no one home in the Universe.”

“That’s it.”

“Cruel. But you said it yourself, who wants to meet meat? And the ones who have been aboard our vessels, the ones you probed? You’re sure they won’t remember?”

“They’ll be considered crackpots if they do. We went into their heads and smoothed out their meat so that we’re just a dream to them.”

“A dream to meat! How strangely appropriate, that we should be meat’s dream.”

“And we marked the entire sector unoccupied.”

“Good. Agreed, officially and unofficially. Case closed. Any others? Anyone interesting on that side of the galaxy?”

“Yes, a rather shy but sweet hydrogen-core cluster intelligence in a class-nine star in G445 zone was in contact two galactic rotations ago, wants to be friendly again.”

“They always come around.”

“And why not? Imagine how unbearably, how unutterably cold the Universe would be if one were all alone . . . ”